1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Different job on return from Maternity Leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Wizmo, May 2, 2012.

1. Hi, I have recently returned from maternity leave. I had my back to work interview with my HT in January and it was agreed that I would return to work on a 3 day week doing a job share with another teacher and likely getting my old class back. On my first day back to work at the end of March, I was told that I would not be getting my old class back and that I would be helping out in another class whose teacher was heavily pregnant and then taking over her class when she went on maternity leave, which was fine by me. Over the Easter holiday I received a phone call from the HT to say that the pregnant teacher had gone on long term sick so I would be taking over as class teacher from Monday, but the teacher who I was supposed to be doing a job share with would be coming back full time from May. Well May has arrived and I had not been told what my role would be now the agreed job share had disappeared without discussion. I asked my HT and was told that he had not really thought about what I was going to do so I could just help the LSAs with small group work for the time being and then he would see. I feel completely redundant in my job as my maternity cover has been kept on as class teacher and there is essentially nothing for me to do. I was under the impression that I was entitled to return to the job I left but instead I have no timetable and and just an extra pair of hands to be shoved from pillar to post when the situation arises. It feels as though I have been demoted (albeit with teacher salary) to a glorified LSA, which was the job I did 8 years ago before the blood, sweat and tears of doing my PGCE. None of this was discussed with me previously as I was under the impression I was returning to work as a class teacher with a job share. I plan on ringing my union tomorrow, but can my HT do this? Can he take away an agreed job share, and not have a role for me to come back to from maternity leave? I was really looking forward to going back to work and this has really upset me. I have worked my backside off for that school throughout a very difficult pregnancy and before, and it seems as though I am no longer needed but cannot be made redundant. Any suggestions?

2. Hi, I have recently returned from maternity leave. I had my back to work interview with my HT in January and it was agreed that I would return to work on a 3 day week doing a job share with another teacher and likely getting my old class back. On my first day back to work at the end of March, I was told that I would not be getting my old class back and that I would be helping out in another class whose teacher was heavily pregnant and then taking over her class when she went on maternity leave, which was fine by me. Over the Easter holiday I received a phone call from the HT to say that the pregnant teacher had gone on long term sick so I would be taking over as class teacher from Monday, but the teacher who I was supposed to be doing a job share with would be coming back full time from May. Well May has arrived and I had not been told what my role would be now the agreed job share had disappeared without discussion. I asked my HT and was told that he had not really thought about what I was going to do so I could just help the LSAs with small group work for the time being and then he would see. I feel completely redundant in my job as my maternity cover has been kept on as class teacher and there is essentially nothing for me to do. I was under the impression that I was entitled to return to the job I left but instead I have no timetable and and just an extra pair of hands to be shoved from pillar to post when the situation arises. It feels as though I have been demoted (albeit with teacher salary) to a glorified LSA, which was the job I did 8 years ago before the blood, sweat and tears of doing my PGCE. None of this was discussed with me previously as I was under the impression I was returning to work as a class teacher with a job share. I plan on ringing my union tomorrow, but can my HT do this? Can he take away an agreed job share, and not have a role for me to come back to from maternity leave? I was really looking forward to going back to work and this has really upset me. I have worked my backside off for that school throughout a very difficult pregnancy and before, and it seems as though I am no longer needed but cannot be made redundant. Any suggestions?

3. I do sympathise - it does seem you are being treated with little thought and care. However I doubt it will last long, your head is unlikely to be in a position to keep you as a
    so will at some point sort it out. Meanwhile you are under very little pressure as you have no class and it seems very little responsibility. As someone who knows how difficult returning to work after maternity leave can be, juggling work and a baby (not literally juggling the baby) I'd be inclined to make the most of it for the time being. Who knows in a few months time - you may wish you were back to just helping out!

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There is no right to return to the same post (the same class or timetable etc).
    For Secondary teacher, there's no right to even be employed in the same subject area, whether returning from maternity leave or not.
    The Head can utilise you where s/he deems fit and presumably does not want to disrupt your usual class. the Head could have saved money by giving notice to the teacher who covered your ML and just offer her/him two days per week from now on. As that hasn't happened, I guess that continuity for pupils is the motivation.
    To be honest, I'd see it as a gift that you're being paid as a teacher to act in a support capacity for the remainder of this school year, possibly taking over another timetable if another teacher is absent.
    You can adjust more easily to returning to work with a young baby to be accommodated and you can make yourself useful by volunteering for organising extras in school, which will all be useful evidence for your portfolio.

5. As others have said the lower work load could be a blessing, but I can also see that you feel undervalued. Perhaps you could use this opportunity to carve out a role for yourself.
    Rather than just helping out as an LSA would you could speak to other teachers and see where the need is then set up your own timetable e.g. joining classes (or taking half of them out if there's space in the school) for writing lessons as extra support. Or if you have a particular skill/interest (especially music/PE) offering to lead classes in these areas. I imagine teachers would be very grateful for this sort of support.