1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Different approach to teaching lower sets?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by chacharlee, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I am an NQT Maths teacher and could do with some advice.
    My Year 8 class has just been put into ability sets for the first time. I would like to know whether you take a different approach to teaching style / choice of learning activities for these pupils in comparison to higher ability sets. What have you found to work well?
    Many thanks

2. Off the top of my head... My behaviour expectations don't change. My seating plan probably needs to take in to account more student personality clashes and a TA. I'd put in more activities per lesson to help with attention and motivation. I've found that competition (not necessarily games) goes down very well with more challenging classes. You might find there's less content to get through, so you can structure a weekly or fortnightly activity that always happens - games on a Friday afternoon, quiet solo work on a Monday morning etc.