1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difference in specs/exam boards

Discussion in 'English' started by Skippy17, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Skippy17

Skippy17 New commenter

Hi all. I'm new to posting, though I've been hovering on the forums for some time. I've posted this in Tutors too - I wasn't sure where was the most appropriate.

I'm just moving into private tuition - some of it via a company and some it self-employed. I've previously taught the AQA spec and examined the OCR spec for English Language, but now I'm being required to tutor the Edexcel spec. It doesn't LOOK wildly different from the others, but I wondered if anyone more experience might know of any stumbling blocks or key differences between the specs? Thanks in advance.

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

In the old days when we had (many) exam boards and (very many) syllabuses, (last century, that is) there were considerable differences between what the "boards" had on offer. National Curriculum restrictions eventually caused the total demise of the boards.

In these days of (a few) Awarding Bodies and their specifications, there's much more conformity.

However, teachers with experience of different bodies (in a manner of speaking) may, nevertheless, be able to point to some significant variations. in the way they assess.