1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difference in levels?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by getrichquick, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Good morning,
    I'm a little confused about something. I have heard quite a few people say, for example "Yes, he was level 3 in Year 4, but now he's in Year 6, the levels aren't the same. A level 3 in Year 4 is different to a level 3 in Year 6" but my question is if APP is used to assess, and the child can still demonstrate the skills needed for, say, a level 3, shouldn't they be judged to be at that level or above, depending on the skills they demonstrate, regardless of the class they are in?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Level 3 is the same whether it's achieved in Y2,3,4,5,6,7,8 ...

3. If only it were that simple!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It is actually that simple the level doesn't change ...what changes are individual interpretations /expectations

5. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

If teachers do their assessment work properly - and children can never go down a level. If they've achieved it (proved by a body of evidence) then they are always going to be that level or higher.
    The confusion arises through imagining that a single piece of work or a test can give a level. It can't.