1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difference between writing levels: 3, 2A, 2B and 2C

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sara2323, May 6, 2012.

1. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I am a year 2 teacher due to be moderated very soon, although I am confident in levelling children for the reading and numeracy assessments I am struggling to level literacy.
    I have selected 2 children for each level. The 2 level 3 children are using a range of punctuation accurately, which include speech marks, exclamation marks, commas etc. They are also sticking to text types and using a range of connectives and a range of adjectives and some adverbials. Is this enough for a level 3c?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I am a year 2 teacher due to be moderated very soon, although I am confident in levelling children for the reading and numeracy assessments I am struggling to level literacy.
    I have selected 2 children for each level. The 2 level 3 children are using a range of punctuation accurately, which include speech marks, exclamation marks, commas etc. They are also sticking to text types and using a range of connectives and a range of adjectives and some adverbials. Is this enough for a level 3c?
    Thanks in advance :)

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

My level 3 children can do all of that, but are also starting their sentences in different ways (Not always with He, or she, or then) and there should be some evidence of loose paragraphs as far as i know.

4. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I hope so as this is also the same for my level 3's. Mine do have some evidence of loose paragraphing but there's been lots of threads on here bout not necessarily needing paragraphs, more just sections within paragraphs. I too am being moderated soon, at the end of the month, as I'm new to yr2. Scared to ****!!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

similar to my level 3s as well.

Writing is the one I'm most confident about. Reading, other than test results, seems really, really subjective.

6. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thanks, yes they are using different openers but not paragraphs.

7. There are lots of useful documents to help you build the picture for writing, like this one-
    http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/download/file/Assessment%20and%20Progression%20in%20Writing%20A3%20(July%202011).pdf
    When you are moderated make sure you have plenty of evidence and feel confident about talking about the children. Can you check your judegment with another member of staff in your school? Some moderators are also happy to discuss borderline children with you if you need some advice.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ours is known to me and is really lovely. So I'm hoping for advice as well as moderation. It's my first time in year 2 and I'm also supporting the other year 2 teacher. Lonely and scary when it comes to SATs...thank goodness for TES.

I use that lancs document all the time for day to day planning and LOs/expectations. Then APP for formal assessment.

Reading I have the ORT stage they read at and the link to the NC level. Their GR stage book, also linked to NC levels. Then their comprehensions from GR carousel, a published scheme but ought to be a roughly correct level. And then test scores. That's all though...

9. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I suppose this makes it even harder but if you're trying to ascertain an overall English level, the fact is that "English" = one third speaking and listening; one third reading; one third writing.
    If you're not assessing AT1, then you're not assessing English but just a fraction of it.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We don't get moderated for S&L, just reading and maths with the moderator in their visit to school. Then we have a meeting with other teachers and the moderator to do the writing.

At the end of the year we do have to submit S&L levels as well but there is no checking of judgements. Don't lynch me, that's just how it is in my LA.

We also submit science levels as individual ATs, but are not moderated in those either.

11. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I've never seen this before, definately useful. Thank you.
    For reading I've used the independant reading records, guided reading and home reading record, hopefull that's sufficient evidence.The SAT's reading tests have sort of backed up my assessment although some a sublevel higher than what I levelled them!