1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

difference between Literacy and English?

Discussion in 'English' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Hi all,
    In Sept I'm moving from being Literacy coordinator in a primary school to a secondary school where my role will be to do with Literacy development across the school / curriculum. Can anyone clarify for me how Literacy in a secondary context differs from English? In primary, the two are not separated out.
    My initial thoughts are that English is mostly to do with the curricular side of things - and that Literacy is to do with developing reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in as many contexts as possible in a variety of ways. Is that about accurate? In which case, I should be working with all the departments in school, not just the English department.
    I know that Literacy is a weakness in my new school, and that levels on entry are poor, with a high percentage of SEN.
    I would just like clarification that I'm thinking along the right lines.
    Thanks,
    Sparkly :)

2. Hi all,
    In Sept I'm moving from being Literacy coordinator in a primary school to a secondary school where my role will be to do with Literacy development across the school / curriculum. Can anyone clarify for me how Literacy in a secondary context differs from English? In primary, the two are not separated out.
    My initial thoughts are that English is mostly to do with the curricular side of things - and that Literacy is to do with developing reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in as many contexts as possible in a variety of ways. Is that about accurate? In which case, I should be working with all the departments in school, not just the English department.
    I know that Literacy is a weakness in my new school, and that levels on entry are poor, with a high percentage of SEN.
    I would just like clarification that I'm thinking along the right lines.
    Thanks,
    Sparkly :)

3. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

"Literacy is a set of skills, English is a body of knowledge" would be how I separate the two of them.
    I would most definitely push Literacy throughout the whole school rather than just the English & Drama departments, and the new focus on Functional Skills may well help. A couple of people I've chatted to at the DCSF and National Strategies have hinted that Functional Skills in English may well supplant Literacy and Learning.
    'Literacy' is (in my experience) usually aimed at the kids who start secondary at level 3 (level 2s or lower should be picked up by SEN) - there's the old Literacy Progress Units or the rather newer Literacy Plus from the strategies, which are OK. Generally, 'Literacy' is spoken about as an intervention rather than anything else...

4. thanks, that's helpful.
    [​IMG]

5. Literacy is really just the ability to read and write. Many children at primary school can speak and understand English very well before they learn to read and write it.

At secondary level literacy problems consist mainly of poor reading comprehension and weak spelling. Some pupils find learning to read and write English extremely difficult because of the spelling inconsistencies which I have listed at <font color="#f37255">www.englishspellingproblems.co.uk</font> and this has a detrimental effect on their use of the language too.