1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difference between head of Department and teacher in charge

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by LawCitizenshipPHSE, Mar 6, 2019.

1. LawCitizenshipPHSE

LawCitizenshipPHSE New commenter

Can anyone please explain to me what the difference is between a 'Head of department' and a 'teacher in charge'?

According to my contract I am the teacher in charge of a fairly big department (100+ students & manage 3 staff) for which i receive only the lower end of the middle TLR. I am also in charge of another small department which i run but no staff to line manage.

I do exactly the same as all the other heads of departments. Attend all the same meetings as them, complete all the same responsibilities and duties.

But why is my job title 'teacher in charge' instead of 'head of department' aside from the TLR? Because I know for certain the heads of department have the title and larger TLR even if some of those depts are smaller than mine.

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

You would need to check the job descriptions at your school to see, but functionally they can be the same. At my school, if a subject is taught in the sixth form only e.g. Politics, Sociology, Psychology it will have a teacher in charge. If it has GCSE / KS3 teaching as well (and therefore a greater number of staff to line manage) they will be a head of department. Each school has to make its own decisions and it could be that your role is a mismatch of other previous jobs and consequently the title has not been updated.

cephaslartey and border_walker like this.
  3. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

LOL. I absolutely love posts like the O/P’s. They brighten up the day and leave me smiling for even longer. A ‘teacher in charge’ is invariably cheaper, a pushover, unable to say ‘no’ to anything, isn’t respected and has no confidence. They obviously all don’t apply to all ‘teachers in charge’; only the O/P can decide which applies to them.

4. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

Several grand a year.