1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difference between fee and non fee paying grammar schools?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by geek84, Feb 6, 2011.

1. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks
    Can someone please tell me the difference between fee paying and non fee paying grammar schools in terms of the standard of education offered and entrance requirements. I assume that non fee paying schools would be more in demand and have stricter acceptance rules.
    In either case, would a child need to pass the 11 plus exam to be considered?
    Finally, how do I find out which are the fee paying and the non fee paying grammar schools in my region? Would it be just a case of ringing up the school to find out?
    Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Hi Folks
    Can someone please tell me the difference between fee paying and non fee paying grammar schools in terms of the standard of education offered and entrance requirements. I assume that non fee paying schools would be more in demand and have stricter acceptance rules.
    In either case, would a child need to pass the 11 plus exam to be considered?
    Finally, how do I find out which are the fee paying and the non fee paying grammar schools in my region? Would it be just a case of ringing up the school to find out?
    Thanks in advance for any responses.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

That would depend entirely on the school, surely?
    Most likely, although some independent schools may have their own assessments.
    State schools will be included in the lists produced by your LEA when applying for secondary places.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

depends on the region, I'm in a grammar school area where approx 25% of children attend after passing the 11+ ( 50% of the boys in my current class are going to grammar, the other 50% to secondary) The results at GCSE and A level are higher in terms of achievement than the secondary ( hardly surprising given the selective nature of entry) but many of the secondary schools have a much higher VA.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

6. And don't think that because a school has the word Grammar in its name means it is a grammar school. My secondary was a state comprehensive, but kept Grammar in the name because of its history and roots. It has just been rebuilt as part of the Building Schools for the Future (or whatever it was called) programme, and the council wanted to change the name entirely, but locals and the school argued against the change, and so it is still a 'grammar' by name.
    JSY x