1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Difference Between "Depth" and "Progression"

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by jakeyg14, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    I've read the CfE principles page, but I can still do not fully understand the difference between what it means by depth and progression. [​IMG]

To me, they sound exactly the same, just articulated differently! Can someone please describe what each one means with as little jargon as possible, please?

2. Here's how I understand it.
    Progression refers to the sequence in which concepts or skills are learned (for my immediate teaching purposes, through the school session in which I have a class). Progression determines what the children must learn first in order to learn what comes next. Progression is a linear process, a movement from A to B to C.
    Depth refers to richness, to how deep the children delve into a particular concept or skill or topic by looking at it from various angles, applying the learning in various contexts, and so on. Compared to progression, depth is more like a three-dimensional process of lingering on a topic, discovering all they can about it, teasing out all the learning implications within it.
    Think of swimming. Progression=going forward in the pool, depth=going deep into the pool.
    Does this help at all?

3. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

QIO's are telling us to go for depth. HT and HoD telling us to go for progression. Feel like a WW1 trench rat!

4. I'm ultra late with this reply, but I just wanted to say thanks for the help.