1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diets and birthday cakes.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lilachardy, May 8, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Planning ahead to my birthday ... I WILL eat cake, despite the ongoing (never ending?) diet.

However, I'd like to be a little bit sensible, and rather than making something large and gorgeous, either make something very small but so rich that you'd not want much of it, or something large and relatively good for me.

Any ideas?

2. Carrot cake?
    Or if you find that boring, something like pumpkin or courgette cake?
    Or how about a low fat Philly cake piled high with fruit?
    Or why not just be naughty, as it is your birthday, afterall, and just bake a smaller version of your favourite cake?
    A gooey chocolate fudge cake?
    Or how about a strawberry (or raspberry) yoghurt cake? That is what I baked for my birthday last year.

3. I would go for your favourite cake...it's your birthday!
    Cakes always play a big part in our family birthdays....the birthday girl usually gets to choose at least 3 different kinds!
    I would go for one small favourite ...(Bienenstich or a full-on cheesecake for me)
    And one that will 'last' or freeze.... (so I can have a piece in a week or so!)...(maybe a marble cake)
    And one 'healthier' option - a traybake - plain bottom layer with loads of fruit on top - and a crumble as a third layer if you toss the 'healthy' out of the window....(depends what fruit is in season...apples work well and are pretty much always available)

4. I am not a big cake eater - but on my birthday, I pig out on whatever I want.
    You only get one birthday a year, lilac. You can be sensible for the other 364 days!
    We tend to go for smaller cakes and then decorate the table with lots of tea lights, etc. (this is something that also tends to happen in your workplace - you will come in to find your desk decorated in a way I have never seen in the UK - flowers, tea lights, usually some Gummibären scattered around, etc).

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

6. lilachardy

Thanks.

But if I eat a whole carrot cake (even over several days!) I'll put on loads of weight, and that's not what I want to do.
    Let alone 3 different cakes Beth!!
    Perhaps I should stick to tealights... and a 10p packet of gummi bears!

7. Take it into work! That is what I do!

8. lilachardy

I've been given a cake to take to work already!

9. Nothing to stop you taking in 2!
    I took 5 into work last year!

10. I don't eat them all myself! (Not that i couldn't you understand...I can be wuite determined where cake is concerned!)
    The coffee goes on, the cakes are put out, and throughout the morning, people drop by for coffee and cake! (In England they tend to need an invitation...in Germany, people just dropped by...I remember the postie stopping his round for 10 minutes once to enjoy a quick slice of birthday cake!)

11. LOL, yes - it is like an open house day. Everyone just drops in - even the postie!

12. lilachardy

I'll be at work, so not much point in dropping in!

I could take 2 to work, you're right. But they are all on diets, and I don't like many of them that much either!

I might make a very small batch of brownie or something... that'd be rich enough to stop me eating too much of it!

13. that'd be rich enough to stop me eating too much of it!
    I would probably persevere and scoff the lot anyway!
    I know this might sound like heresy on a cookery forum, but why not go and buy something small and delicious from the bakery - just one and just for you. Stick a candle in it to make it festive, have a glass of something particularly nice and toast yourself.

14. lilachardy

I might do just that, actually - Asda sell individual iced buns!

15. So.....you take in 4 gooey, creamy, chocolatey cakes....and make sure they're already cut in huuuuuge slices.

(I know someone who does that...brings in delicious calorific fat-filled deep-fried, cream-filled and smothered in real chocolate type treats....I'm sure she is a secret diet-saboteur!....she certainly cuts larger slices for those people she doesn't like!....and it's really hard to refuse when someone offers you a ready-cut slice!)

16. lilachardy

I want to make florentines... decided!

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Have a jaffa cake! Only 1g of fat! [​IMG]