1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dieting

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Feb 24, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Its got to go....ive determined.....but in what way?
    I did do weight watchers but i got bored withthem and they system when i stuck on a weight for 3 weeks
    so recommendations?.....cambridge,or any other?

2. oldsomeman

Its got to go....ive determined.....but in what way?
    I did do weight watchers but i got bored withthem and they system when i stuck on a weight for 3 weeks
    so recommendations?.....cambridge,or any other?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Elastoplast over the gob for a few weeks should do it!

4. oldsomeman

hahahahah,,,,,,,,not scientific that belle.........me making love to you for a week might help[​IMG]
    then again i forgot you married woman now LOL

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

old some have a look for the weight lost thread on here.

My advice, is watch what you eat. But eat what you want. I have lost over a stone since Xmas, and that still included the odd take away and beers at the weekend.

www.foodfocus.co.uk is a good way to keep an eye on what you are eating. I just use it now for the weight monitor cos the OH does the inputting of foods so I know roughly my cals intake.

6. oldsomeman

i have just looked at this and what a muddle for me.i can input the foods i eat........although at the moment in dangerously obese and a lazy git!
    I one meal tonight i seem to have eaten my calorie intake for the day!........one wonders if WW might be better!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

WW has a new system called pro points, oldsome - well worth a look. I've lost 11 lbs in 8 weeks and haven't found it in the least bit difficult to stick with (so far).

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I gave up the fried breakfast and pint of tea in the cafe. I changed to a sosanegg sarnie and lost 8% of bodyweight over a year without actually noticing much pain beyond my mates breakfast looking especially scrumptious.

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

A girl I know has been doingslim rite and has lost 20lb in 4 weeks. Think she lost 11lb the first week. No idea what it entails though. Must be drastic to loose that much.
    Slimming world is meant to be good. All about not eating processed food really xx

10. Slimming World is wonderful, no cal counting and plenty to eat, easy plan to follow, not rocket science, it just cuts out the **** and makes you cook from scratch, all healthy, tasty stuff and as much of it as u like, it doesn't have to be expensive, for example, my tea tonight was eggs, chips and mushy peas with 2 slices of bread and butter, followed by a fredddo bar and later a pkt of french fries...ok, egg was poached, chips were home-made, sprayed with fry light and cooked in the oven, peas out of a tin, small, whole meal bread with flora light spread, and all was very yummy...

11. My gripe with the whole diet thing is that unless I cook two separate meals, I get nothing but complaints. The very idea of trying to fob off Mr and Master L with a poached instead of a fried egg and chips cooked in any manner that isn't deep-fried in lard is but a pipe dream.

12. Lily, with SW you can fry anything as long as its with frylight spray (or simular), my 21 yr old, burly built, rugby player of a son, loves my SW meals, esp the curries and tandoori chicken, hes even turned down take a ways with his mates for my curry..(the only compliment i get from him)

13. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I find, if I've had a period of excess due to nights out or Christmas or similar, that cutting back on my evening meal and making my 3 meals more even helps me to easily lose a bit of weight. I eat more at breakfast time than I would normally, perhaps having baked beans on toast. Lunchtime, I try to have a large salad of mixed leaves, peppers, cucumber, tomatoes along with a slice of ham/turkey and a wholemeal bread roll. In the evening, I stick to chicken, fish or pasta with a tomato-based sauce and vegetables.
    By eating even meals throughout the day, instead of a small breakfast, small lunch and large evening meal, I find that I don't snack between meals. I also try to eat when I'm hungry in the evenings, not just when it's "dinner time" (the temptation is to try and wait until 6pm, but if I'm hungry at 5, I eat then).
    I find that weighing my portion helps too. After a while, you gradually just prepare less.
    Lately, I've been a disciple of the Paul McKenna book and CD which I found immensely helpful in sorting out my attitude towards food (it's a treat, it's been a long day and so on...) and in helping me get out of the points/syns mind set that drove me mad.
    Good luck. I hope you succeed however you decide to do it.

14. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

i was the same, I've now moved into being 'a fat f_ecker block' after losing the stone

It gets easier with time and to be honest, a set of scales for the food you serve is your new best mate if you do wanna lose the weight.
    And to be honest I don't think I have been hungry at all this year, more about cooking from fresh, bulking up on veggies and enjoying the treats.

15. What's most worrying is the mention of numerous 'systems' with no mention of exercise. You really don't need an artificial system. Eat sensibly (most non-cretins know what this means) and doing moderate exercise daily or every other day is the most efficient way to lose weight. I.e. Use up what you put in so it doesn't get deposited as fat.

A modest 30 minute run every other day will show miracle results without eating nothing but lettuce or cabbage.

The problem will arise if you're already too fat or unfit to exercise, of course. In which case don't bother with the diet, you're dying early anyway. Might as well go out happy.

16. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

You say that as if running for 30 minutes is something that everyone can just do. I'm not "too fat or unfit to exercise", I can cross-train, rock climbing, dance, do aerobics, do body combat, yoga etc, but I've never been able to run from one lamp-post to the next. I've recently taken up 'running' (I use the words loosely!) since I did the Race for Life last year and am determined to do it again this year and beat my time of 32 minutes for 5km. I'm using Nike+ to help me train and have worked out a route that is approximately 5.5km. However, after several months of following this route, I'm still not able to run for the full 5.5km, and this is whilst judging my speed very carefully using my Nike+ wrist band to ensure I'm not going too fast etc.
    So just telling someone to get out there and exercise is not necessarily the most helpful thing to say. And I certainly would not call a 30 minute run 'modest'.
    That said, to the OP, Nike+ is really useful and they do a great "Walk to Run" programme for people who are beginners. You need to shell out a bit on the equipment (a wristband and a senser that goes in you shoe) but it's quite fun to follow the training programme and then upload your runs so you can see yourself improving.

17. On the contrary, advising someone to exercise is THE most helpful thing to say. Has many more benefits than dieting.

The reason you find running so hard compared to the others is that they can all be done at a low intensity rate with little cardio-vascular fitness. Running is much harder to fool yourself with because you have to lug your own bulk around and if that has become too big then running becomes too hard. Consequently it is a much more realistic measure of fitness and aid to weight loss.

18. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

The only diet I've been succesful with, is a sugar-free diet. It's not easy as there is sugar in many foods you buy. Cutting out sugar is tea and coffee is not enough. It is in bread, Chinese food, baked beans, tomato ketchup etc etc etc
    But I lost a stone

19. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I would agree with this, sugar is a massive problem in our diets,cut it out and you'll feel so much better.
    As for exercise, running is a no-no if you are overweight it will put too much pressure on your joints. Walk, swim and cycle, let the weight come off a bit (well quite a bit) before you run. Walking etc will still give you a good aerobic workout as long as you are going at a reasonable speed (just fast enough so you are a bit out of breath but can still talk).
    If you want to chat in private then please PM me :)

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I need to lose weight,o/h needs to gain weight!! Sods law!