1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dieting - a fresh start, anyone?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by DogsareNOTstupid, Jun 23, 2015.

1. DogsareNOTstupid

DogsareNOTstupid New commenter

Would anyone like to join me in a diet and exercise plan? I really need to lose about 10 kilos.

I did the 5:2 and lost four kilos, and was doing Zumba nearly every day, but had a virus which lasted for about two months, so it all went pear shaped (and so did i!) and I'm scared to stand on the scales again [​IMG]

I don't know if I'll do the 5:2 or just cut calories, but definitely want to be exercising six days a week.

Would anyone care to join me?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

WEll not sure I'll be much help as I'm not actually 'dieting' as such, because every time I've successfully dieted I've ended up nearly a stone heavier after a couple of years.

With two weddings in the next year, first at end of Oct. I have started my exercise regime.

3. DogsareNOTstupid

Lara?. I think that's what's happened to me, which is why I'm not sure if I'll go back to the 5;2. Not sure what i'm doing actually, just know that I need to lose weight!

What' s your exercise regime like? I'm aiming for Zumba, with weights, and walking.

4. Lara mfl 05

Well, as I'm overweight and fairly unfit I'm starting slowly and believe it or not with my old ballet exercises which I always use for 'starting' as it's just fairly gentle. Just about to start the old Rosemary Connolly videos, I've again used in the past, as there are different levels of activity depending on age/levels of fitness. (Unfortunately she didn't repeat these when she moved to DVD so it's finding the old video player to set up! )

Also with her programme you measure yourself rather than weigh yourself and it is satisfying to see how you can lose inches (well let's face it we're talking 1/2 " here [​IMG] ) even though you may not be losing weight. Muscle weighs heavier. I then only weigh myself once a month and I've lost 3 lbs in 2 months now. It's always slow work because of my thyroid problems. Last two times I didn't lose a single ounce for the first three weeks, when one usually does lose quite fast and it's soul-destroying, so once a month is about right for me.

Food wise it's the usual smaller plate/ portions, but with the occasional 'treat' at wk/ends etc so when one goes back to 'normal' it doesn't pile straight back on.

Walking is of course the 'spaple' and as told by my son I do exercise for just 5 days out of the 7, giving the muscles time to rebuild. When I'm into it I usually do Ballet for 15-20 minutes each morning and then the Rosemary Connnolly in the evenings but it's so full on at school at present, not been succeeding there.

5. DogsareNOTstupid

You're quite right. 'Slow and steady wins the race' and all that :) It's really frustrating when you try to lose weight, and it stubbornly refuses to shift, isn't it?

I'm thinking I'll just go for smaller portions, and stop eating chocolate at night, and try to do Zumba six days a week, and walk some days too. I've just finished a six-month course, so will have time again, though having said that, family are arriving in a couple of days, so there will be celebrations and too much food!

I'm leaving for Sydney tomorrow for four days, so might have to start after the weekend. I downloaded an app-thingy, to take my measurements with. You can also upload photos, so I can hopefully really 'see' progress! ;)

6. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I do the 30 day Ab challenge, on facebook. I've kept down it for a year now and it has helped slim me down and given me abs sgain. I'm in my 60's so sure you can do it. Also small portions and little alcohol and sugar.

7. DogsareNOTstupid

My knees stop me from doing squats - I even struggle doing the Zumba step exercises some morning. I think I'll just do calorie restriction, and more walking.

I am going away today for a few days, so will start next week :)

8. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I have a completely useless knee so that's why the Ab challenge works for me. It is sit ups, crunches, leg raises and plank. No squats. Try it!

9. Lara mfl 05

DosareNOTstupid, squats are difficult and I used to struggle but as the weight comes off and one's balance becomes stronger I've found in the past these do become easier. (The trick is not to make them too 'deep'!)

My skirts are noticeably looser after 2 months even if the 'weight loss' is less noticeable and that's a great incentive.