1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dietary Requirements Internationally

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cityfree, Oct 3, 2015.

1. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently considering my next international move and, as I have Coeliac Disease, I am interested to know what people know about availability in their area.

I am not a fussy eater and am happy to cook at home most of the time. However, if you know what the gluten free options are like for either restaurants or international supermarkets where you are, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,
    Cityfree

2. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Availability is good in French supermarkets (at least in the Paris region). However, I can't speak for eating out, although if your French is reasonable enough and you explain when you telephone to reserve, you probably would be fine as chefs can be quite happy to make something different. You will also find many gluten-free options on standard menus in France such as omelettes, salads etc., although don't expect particularly modern fare.

3. tica

tica New commenter

Carrefour supermarkets in the Middle East carry a wide selection of gluten free products. Haven't noticed gluten free options in restaurants so far.