1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dietary laws for secular societies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 25, 2018.

?

Do you favour the idea of dietary laws to protect the health of children?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The proposal is not to prescribe so much as proscribe.

2. Vince_Ulam

Had dietary laws been in place which prohibited veganism for children then this child would not now have rickets.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Proscribe what exactly in the case you opened with?

4. Vince_Ulam

Not a serious question from anyone who has read the opening post.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Yes it is but nnot one that you can answer.
    OAt last, one of these laws is specified.

6. Vince_Ulam

Most people would not need to ask but I had to tell you half an hour ago,

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Now you're being rude.

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I returned triumphant from Morrisons three weeks ago with a tray of date-up chicken legs and a date-up tray of Wonky veg, total cost £1.73. Add an Oxo cube (OK I added 200ml wine as well) and some baked spuds (since you've got the oven on anyway) and you've healthily fed 6 people for two quid, preparation time 20 mins tops.

Now i grant you I was a food tech teacher but my kids could make that before they started high school. It doesn't wash that people can't. People in a b&b with only a microwave can't; people with certain disabilities can't; people who've never seen food cooked from scratch could if they had time to learn; people so poor they can't run a cooker can't. But they're extreme cases, and mainly people won't because supermarket prepared food is so cheap, available, convenient and often reduced. And if you're terminally lazy, pay over the odds for Deliveroo and Just Eat to save you the trouble.

I'm also unimpressed with the "no time" excuse. My sons both work full-time and the only time a ready-meal appears is Friday night after the kids have gone to bed. Their children have never eaten other than fresh apart from seaside fish and chips and Naughty Lazy Grandma pizza.

Priorities is what it boils down to, once you've eliminated obsession and delusional Bad Science as per the OP example.

towncryer likes this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

No, I did have to tell you, as we have just seen: