1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

diet

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, May 28, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Yes i know im in the wrong place but can you help
    I need to lose a fairly large weight loss over a period of time but im not always a good dieter and im slightly confuised.
    Tere are so many plans and ideas about weight loss and not of them seem to good to my mind.I did try WW but i got stuck on a weight and gave up and no one in ww seem ed worried ...
    I need to lose weight stedily to avoid diabeties the doc says,and to help lower blood pressure.
    I can eat a lot of food although of late i have been trying and sometimes managing to stop eating on the 'full feeling' point. I have started to cut portions down but the amounts some folks recomend seem enough only for a cat.
    So do i need a plan,do i really have to eat only veg...do i really have to start exercise......to walk is enough with my sore feet and do i have a place i can measure up weights.quantities and caleries of different foods?
    Sorry to be long winded.

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

all i can say it b**************** to that. Sounds nuts and dangerous.

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

750 calories is not enough even on an "up" day!

4. oldsomeman

i dodnt want new fangled isesa..as im tryig topersude wife to go on it with me
    I tend to eat plain food,,,,typical northener..but battered sausages are a temptation
    i have toast most mornings,ocassionally boiled eg and then once week cooked breakfast
    that sort of simple level
    Thanks so far

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

One of the best ways to lose weight is to cut out alcohol completely :)

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

oldsome. on a normal day

Breakfast = 2 rounds of toast or 35gms of cereal with milk

lunch = jacket spud and beans

tea = chicken stir fry with veg and noodles.

that comes in at about 1300-1400 cals which as helped me drop 2lbs a week every week

giving up the bread with every meal will save you about 100 calories per slice per meal!

7. oldsomeman

good idea....shame i dont drink almost
    if im lucky one pint a week

8. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

Hey Oldie, good for you for wanting to do something about it :)

I was 12st 7 in January, now i am down to !0st 12 today, i have done this like himslef a few posts ago by adapting what i eat rather than changing everything.
    I still eat chocolate if i want to, i just dont eat a whole bar, lol.

Breakfast 35g cereal with semi skimmed milk
    Lunch beans on two slices of toast
    Tea jkt spud with chicken breast and veg

I still have a roast dinner every week but i use the one cal spray on my spuds and do extra veg to fill me up. If i want to have crisps i eat french fries as they have less calories. I grill rather than fry food so i can still have a bacon sarnie on a weekend if i wantt to. And i cut down on the take aways, which was a big weakness.

I havent done any extra excercise as i figure i move about enough at work and i am losing on average 1-2 llbs a week.
    Its not about denying yourself the stuff you want its about having smaller quantities of the naughtier stuff or finding lower fat alternatives that are just as delicious. I know if i told myself i wasnt going to eat chocolate again i wouldnt keep that promise, lol.

9. oldsomeman

an avaeage day
    2 roaund s of tast with a banana or maybe some jam
    coffee
    dinner 2 rounds of bread with a filling
    some dried raisins and a bannana or some fruit
    tea... ususally someting plain like mince and tatties and a veg....but not a huge plate
    dangers .....
    odd biscuits
    snacking at end of night
    but i dodnt eat crisps but i do love cheese[​IMG]

10. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

oh i feel the pain

I have had very limited cheese since Xmas, have dairy lee triangles for when i need it.

what you eat doesn't sound to bad, but bet it was the same as me, a portion will be a lot more than what it should be food focus will help that.

plus 6 digestives - about the same Cal's as a small ton of beans and 2 slices of toast! snacking is a killer!

11. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Oldsomeman,

You would be very welcome to join us on the Paul MCkenna thread over on H+W. It might work for you because it isn't a diet as such. Hope it goes well for you.

12. Oldie - I have decided that diets don't work.
    I believe in sticking to a healthy eating plan for life. ...and just happen to be losing weight on it!
    I follow a version of the F2 plan (a high-fibre diet) which seems to have the same guidelines as th GI plan.
    I love cooking.....and eating!
    Try and increase the amount of fibre in your diet - the body can't difest fibre, so it goes through the body. It is also filling!
    Looking at your average day....
    Breakfast: 2 rounds of toast with banana and jam. Coffee.
    Good start.....try having granary gread for your toast - I love the nutty flavour - it has more fibre. Do you have butter? Maybe try one of the cholesterol lowering spreads....jam, make sure it is 'extra jam' which is higher in fruit and lower in sugar....and the banana is perfect....for the coffee, if you take milk try a semi-skimmed not full-fat and if you drink a lot, make sure you use a sugar substitute.
    Dinner: 2 rounds of sandwich with filling, dried fruit and a banana.
    How about trying a different dinner? You had bread for breakfast!
    If you want sandwiches then again, granary bread is better. Fillings...avoid the cheese, ham, salami and anything with mayo - at least on a daily basis (enjoy these fillings once in a while) and go for chicken, tuna and loads of salad.
    Maybe try a baked potato with beans or quorn sausages.( Try quorn - it really does taste 'meaty'!)
    Maybe try a pasta salad?
    Or a bowl of homemade soup?
    And go easy on the dried fruit! It's only too easy to snack on this and tuck away more calories than a chocolate bar! Fresh fruit is much better and more filling.
    Tea: Mince Tatties and a Veg
    Nothing wrong with mince and tatties! Make sure the mince is drained of fat. (And try quorn mince!), and no mashing the tatties with butter and cream (mmmmmmmm! and mum used to add an egg too!) Trty and make it more than one veg too.
    Snacks:
    A few treats make life worth while!
    Know your own weaknesses - I can't keep custard creams in the house - I'll scoff the whole pack in one sitting!...but ginger nuts are fine. I'll just nibble on one or two at a time.
    Have some 'healthy' snacks too....more fresh fruit....or veg sticks, try them with a nice low-fat dip. ...low-fat joghurt for a sweet treat...home made microwaved crisps (zero fat!) for a savoury nibble.

(Sorry - my bold/unbold has stopped working....and I can't spell check....not that you'd notice Oldie![​IMG])

The main thing is to keep everything in moderation. Try and be healthy at least 80% of the time.
    And try and increase your physical activity....extra 'snuggles' for Mrs Oldie!
    And pop along to 'Cookery'...we'll help you adapt some of your favourite recipes!

13. Here is the key;

(0.062 x weight in kg) + 2.036 x 239 - 500

Don't ask me what it all means, I have no idea but I got this equation in a magazine by a health company, the article was written by a doctor and it works!

Basically use the equation to work out how many calories you need each day to lose weight (I have lost over 4 stone in about 2 years so it's very steady). I like it because counting the calories means I can eat anything I want as long as I don't go over my allowance so I don't have to cut out bread, cheese, chocolate or alcohol which I wouldn't have the will power to do. So at the end of each day I add up all the calories I've eaten and take away all of the calories I've used through exercise which should equal the amount from the equation.

14. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

eat 500 cals below your maintenance intake and you will lose 1lb a week

15. I know it is a "proper" diet, Olds but Slimming World worked brilliantly for me! I lost a stone and a half, and was never hungry because you CAN eat loads as long as you are eating the right combinations of foods. There was a guy who used to come to my class who had lost quite a few stone! I have now at my target weight but I still go to class every week just to keep an eye on how I'm doing. :)

16. Sorry, I'm going to be awkward and suggest exercise as well, whether it is swimming, or cycling, just a walk.
    I've lost 8kg (over a stone) since september, without doing a huge amount to alter what I eat, because I am exercising a lot, and this is despite the fact I've quite definitely added quite a lot of muscle. I am trying to eat more fruit/veg now too, to drop the last kg down to my 'ideal race weight'.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

yes. Swimming could be the one Olds, if you have sore feet.

18. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Same.

19. oldsome - come and join us on the Cookery forum. Loads of tips and yummy recipes over there. We are a lovely bunch!
    Eva has an amazing couple of recipes on there too - tried and tested by TES posters!
    Come over and start a thread and we will all chip in and help. Promise. Nobody has ever been left in the lurch over there!

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Olds, I reckon you would lose the weight gradually, and most importantly keep it off, just by cutting out your wee snacks and pre-bedtime munchies.
    I set myself a 6 month deadline as it were. I'm on track simply because I'm only required to lose 1lb a week. I've lost 8lbs in 6 weeks and it's largely been effortless. Much like another poster said, I would be miserable if I couldn't drink a bit of booze and have a few indulgences (for example my treat last night was one square of cadbury's caramel, while Mr K demolished the packet: family size packet). Kibosh is the only fat thing in his world. Lucky funker.
    I love exercising though, even though i don't always get the time. The gym is my thing. I LOVE it. I used to go hill walking, but cos of petrol costs now, the gym fees work out cheaper. Crazy. The other thing I would recommend is going to bed hungry. I recommend it, not becaue it's pleasurable in any way (sorry, it's not) but because eating late at night ensures the calories go straight to fat. You are sleeping, after all, with a stomach full of calories.
    As much as I admire the people on here who can do the Dukan diet etc. (I take my hat off to you all) I could not do that.