1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't take them long

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Oldfashioned, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

One week into a long term supply post and some pole climbing, tlr holding, teacherbot has asked to observe me. I replied to the email with a simple: why? I've yet to receive a reply.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Can't SMT come by your classroom anytime just to see if everything is o.k. without a formal observation? Surely, there are enough adults about in the form of other teachers and TAs to know if something was seriously wrong. If the children seem happy and the classes calm, then what is the problem with these people? They are in a good position to have anyone come to their school at all.

3. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

I should be flattered it I were you. They clearly like the cut of your jib and need to justify making you a permanent offer. Either that or it's the usual brainless, box-ticking, role-justifying b******s.

4. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

I have no prob being observds, as long as I observe them first. Seems fair.

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Ask if after the successful observation you will get a pay rise.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If you are not interested in being observed (and no one is saying you should be) tell teacherbot you will be leaving for another placement.

There is no reason you should be putting yourself out to help them progress in their career.

7. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

What les25paul said

Plus, I think you did the right thing in asking "why". The fact that they didn't response suggests that you stepped up to teacherbot, something they are not used to. This is why I don't do long term supplies and just stick to day to day, because you do them a favour, but they are always eager to stab you in the back.

8. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Just to add to that, as an external, temporary member of staff, appraisal needs to be for a reason. If you are with an agency, the school must give the agency a reason for observing you, such as quality control on their behalf, using their criteria, which usually requires being punctual, dressing appropriately and interacting with the students. Nothing more. Agency staff have already been vetted and approved.

We all get casually observed via learning walks just to see that there is a clear learning point and that students are engaged in appropriate tasks which enable them to get the learning point, but it's a bit early in the year for SMT to be able to appraise pupil progress.

It is my understanding that supply staff are not part of a school's Ofsted rating and they are definitely not included in any performance management system as there won't be time to set targets and meet them.

This is the whole point of going on supply. To just get on with teaching without the anxiety of jumping through often arbitrary hoops and ticking boxes for the sake of it.

Is there a reason why the school has need of a cover teacher so early in the year?

9. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Some interesting replies all echoing my own thoughts. I've still had no reply and there has been no observation. Colleagues have been in and out, the head walked by and as usual my classes are working well and my lessons are appropriate.

Why the teacherbot wants to observe is beyond me and, I imagine that as she can't think of a reason, she has been unable to answer my question.

I am indeed a supply teacher so I don't have to tolerate the carnival show that is performance management so should anyone attempt to suggest I concede to it I will simply move on.

The long term position came up after a new appointment changed their mind. Honestly, this school is very easy in terms of behaviour and the kids very biddable so I don't know why they wouldn't come here.

Anyway I plough on. I take on all responsibilities of regular staff but will stand firm on performance management and will not attend meetings after school. My colleagues here need to recognise I have no security and no holiday pay. In return I leave earlier and don't have ridiculous targets.