1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't pass probation...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Oliviaa91, Sep 16, 2019.

1. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Not sure if it's the same for TAs but for teachers we're not allowed to omit jobs from our application forms. If someone did and it was later discovered it's an immediate dismissal for gross misconduct.

Pomza, install and Jesmond12 like this.
  2. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

If you had a gap in employment, they’d need to know what you had done in that time. You could’ve been in prison!

agathamorse and install like this.
  3. Oliviaa91

Oliviaa91 New commenter

There isn't a gap in employment, I was on supply still for the time I was employed as a t.a. so there's no gaps per sé but I'm worried that I'll be asked or not asked and it looks fraudulent..

DexterDexter likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You do rather sound as if you've not been entirely truthful. Have you been completely open and honest?

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No you couldn’t. Working in education is different, there are safeguarding and safer recruitment regulations that must be adhered to.

Intentionally hiding that you were employed by, and dismissed from, a previous school would be gross misconduct, and if discovered, you’d likely be fired again.

6. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

One thing you should have done whilst you were at the school was to ensure the probation policy was being followed correctly. It shouldn't have come as a surprise that you were going to be dismissed. The school should have informed you that this was a possibility and you should have got in touch with your union straight away. I would suggest you get back in touch with your union and try to salvage a decent reference.