1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't Lord Grantham look well for one who'd just had his stomach removed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And he was knocking back the vino like there was no tomorrow.

needabreak likes this.
  2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

One could even suggest that his speedy recovery was miraculous.

Or do I mean unbelievable?

One of those anyway.

needabreak likes this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've said it before and I'll say it again - that Julian Fellowes is one lazy bloody what-I-call script writer.

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

:)

It's just as well it's almost over!
    I'm only watching it for the Dowager's one-liners and the frocks but did think that the bit in last week's episode where the females in the family were showing the public around was really quite funny.

needabreak likes this.
  5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I wonder if the Dowager countess of Grantham would really have said,"not if I see you first" *had she been a real person in that era; too funny!

RedQuilt likes this.
  6. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I try to model myself on the Dowager - but nobody seems impressed. :(

I wonder if they will publish a mini-book of Dowagerisms?

ScotSEN likes this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I think it comes naturally with time, that's judging from mother and other older family members! I too look forward to it though, I feel I am getting there; sharp as a pin and as intolerant as a lactose intolerant stomach after a large tub of yogurt has been ingested :eek: :rolleyes:;)

8. Middlemarch

Many people have commented over the years that Downton has been on that the relationship between staff and toffs is far too chummy; I'm also much amused by how much time the staff appear to have free and how often they can just dob off somewhere at a moment's notice, often in a group.

snowyhead and needabreak like this.
  9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The show is a hoot, as it retrojects 2015 to 1925.

Notice that new word what I've coined - retroject - "to project current cultural values into the characters of a past setting"

Middlemarch, ScotSEN and RedQuilt like this.
  10. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I don't watch it but I hope they're all going round apologising for the empire.

Noja likes this.
  11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Mrs Patmore's bought, done up and furnished a house that she's running as a B&B in between cooking 10 course banquets for the Granthams and evening meals for the Carsons.

Noja likes this.
  12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Everyone's still watching it though!

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Course they are. Good comedy.

ScotSEN and RedQuilt like this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As one who sells Art Deco era magazine adverts, I have to say Downton is a godsend - especially the frocks and the cars. Anything with young women resembling Lady Mary and Lady Edith is going like hotcakes.

What gets on my nerves is the routinely anachronistic dialogue, as if Daisy is seriously going to exclaim 'Oh My God' in a 1925 workplace setting with her superiors around. I agree with @needabreak about the Dowager's 'Not if I see you first' too.

Also - who needs Hinge & Bracket when you've got Isobel and the Dowager? They get more like a pair of Disney comedy sidekicks every week.

15. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Statler and Waldorf!
    Dowager Maggie is the new Blanche!

16. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I think that the scenes between Isobel and the Dowager are the only reason to watch it. Well, that and the frocks.

ScotSEN likes this.
  17. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Loved Maggie Smith's comment in Graham Norton when asked if the queen watched Downton she couldn't say but heard that she watched Midsommer Murders!

snowyhead likes this.
  18. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I'd like to see the Queen on Who Do You Think You Are? I bet there's some well dodgy stuff in her family background that's been carefully hidden away.

ScotSEN and Noja like this.
  19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I think that would make for such overload it would fuse my works. Surely there's enough stuff that hasn't been hidden away to be going on with. I'm still reeling from the revelation that she keeps her Weetabix in a Tupperware box.

Noja likes this.
  20. Middlemarch

I'm trying to imagine the narration...

Cherie Lunghi (v/o): Liz is trying to find out what happened to her great uncle David, so she has come to Berchtesgaden in the Bavarian Alps.

Liz (to man at Berchtesgaden): I'm told my uncle came here.

Man: Ah yes, he was very friendly with Herr Hitler...they had many good times drinking, singing the Horst Wessel song and discussing the annexation of Britain.

ScotSEN, magic surf bus and snowyhead like this.