1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't get the job :(

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jay2603, Jun 16, 2012.

1. jay2603

jay2603 New commenter

Absolutely gutted. I've been working at the school on a supply basis for 3 years, have been there on a long term supply contract since September 2012 (Part time PPA cover for EYFS and KS2) and lost out tom someone who visited the school once and hasnt yet completed her PGCE . I was given lots of feedback and the head wants me to come in Monday because of some "opportunites he has heard about that I would be perfect for" however I am still working at the school until the end of the school year.

I am so tempted to just give up teaching, if i can't get a job in a school I've dedicated everything to in the last 10 months what hope do I have anywhere else?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I recommend that you don't dwell too much on this (says the voice of someone who's experienced the same) but rather on the "opportunites he has heard about that I would be perfect for."The Head obviously believes in your abilities, but may well have been constricted by budgetary restraints as they've taken on an NQT (.I once had to do supply the day of the interviews for a post for which I'd applied but not been invited to interview. This at my regular school where I was doing PPA! Also went to an NQT. Later asking the Head why they hadn't even shortlisted me the comment was "I didn't know you'd applied!" Turned out DH had shortlisted and said they'd had 30+ applications from NQTs, among which 'surely there'd be a couple of good ones?', so hadn't bothered even looking at the pile of 'experienced'teacher applications.
    Go in till the end of term, head held high in the belief you are doing a good job and convince them you are a professional. You never know what may come next.
    Here's something to cheer you up.
    [​IMG]

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I understand this completely. You must feel awful, and worse at the thought of going in to see your colleagues on Monday.
    I hope that it was useful feedback, so do jot it down before you forget it. And see if this is helpful to you:
    Dear Theo Didn't get internal position/so embarressed
    This is very positive. Heads talking to Heads and suggesting an applicant is right for them can be VERY helpful. Ask him if he will actually ring up the school to get you an interview, not just act as your referee.
    Good!
    Good because it is income. :)
    Good because applying for a job while you are working is always positive.
    Don't - it's just how you feel today, really rotten.
    A lot of hope, especially if the Head supports you.
    Best wishes

4. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Dont take it personally. The other candidate was cheaper, simple as!