1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't get the job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Mischick, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Dear Theo, I didn't get the job. But I would like to thank you for all the good advice and especially for the information re the executive summary.
    I should first explain that I am not a teacher, I work in school admin but have been following the discussions on this forum very closely and have adapted the advice and used it for support staff applications.
    Feedback from my interview included the fact that my application form was so strong and that I should not change a thing. It was just unfortunate that on the day my personality did not shine through until near the end of the interview (need to work on that [​IMG]) and if it hadn't been for such a strong field of applicants I would have definately got the position (it was down to three of us in the end).
    Anyway, thanks again, the experience was well worth it.[​IMG]

2. Poor you. I totally get you - I have been applying for my first teaching post for a year now and still not employed. Applying to schools, whether teaching posts or not, is so tough - I've never heard of application processes tougher, and I know doctors and lawyers an' that. You have to do what you have already done and see the positive, as knackered an old cliché as that is. School interviews are so bloomin' weird and intense and you need a rehearsal for them. I've never known anyone to get a job on their first app. Take what they have said about yr interview and use it next time. I went into a school today for an observed lesson and have been invited to the final interview round tomorrow and am trying to block the negative thoughts, but I hope that if I am disappointed, I will be able to say to myself: I beat off (...ha. I was going to change that wording but it made me smirk) dozens of other candidates to get this far and I nearly, nearly did it, and the feedback means next time I WILL do it. Hope a new opportunity presents itself to you very soon xxx

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

4. Thanx Lilybett, and keep positive you made it to round 2 [​IMG]. Good luck.

5. You willllllll do it!
    Personally, I can't wait to one day join the ranks of 'Moaning About My Job' ha ha woo. And you will get there, too!
    xxx

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You didn't get the job, but you did get a very valuable experience.
    You now know what your strengths are, and how to present them effectively. You also know what areas to work on for next time.
    So not too many commiserations - it's all just preparation for The Right Job For You.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.