1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't get shortlisted!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ltollman, Feb 1, 2016.

1. ltollman

ltollman New commenter

Hi all, I've just applied for my first job in four years, and I REALLY thought I had put together a strong application. I included an E.S., where I addressed all of the job spec' requirements and desirables with evidence. I made sure there were no typo's or empty boxes, and followed their instructions to the letter. I made specific reference to the school and how I could add specifically add to their Department as an English teacher currently teaching in a comparable school. Could it be my age that stopped me getting short-listed (I'm 37)? Or maybe the fact that I am already on M6 on the pay scale? Though I did state explicitly that I would be willing to negotiate pay for the right school. Any advice welcome!

2. splinters

splinters Established commenter

Funny that, I just got an email saying I wasnt shortlisted for a job I believed I was ideal for and I know they had very few applicants as they had to readvertise.
    I am 46 and was last on U2 plus TLR.
    I have already been told I was 'over qualified' for one role and too expensive for several others.
    My application 'really impressed' them and I am not short of qualifications, experience or success in my subject area. So, it could be either of the previous reasons or it could be the age thing....or a combination of them all. If so, it doesnt leave me feeling very positive for the future.....

3. ltollman

ltollman New commenter

Am I supposed to put down the Head Teacher as a reference for current employer? I put the Head of English, and then the second reference was my line manager...... Could that be a possibility for why I didn't get shortlisted?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you are.

Who should be my referees?

Some schools may be suspicious of somebody who fails to give the Head, as it could suggest a poor relationship. But that wouldn't normally stop them shortlisting you - they'll just ring up the Head anyway, to get a reference, in most cases, if they were otherwise very impressed with the application.

Yes, they can do that: contact people you haven't given as a referee.

:(

I cannot tell why you didn't get shortlisted. They may have had 20 applicants, 7 of whom (including you) put in strong applications, and they decided to go for 5 only for interview. They may have whittled down the 7 to 5 by looking at your A-level results, at the specification that you teach, on how many times you took groups to the Globe - could be any reason.

Very disappointing . . .

You could try asking the school, not for feedback, but what they would suggest that you do to improve the next application. They may or may not be willing to tell you.

Now go and eat a lot of chocolate.

:)

Best wishes

5. ltollman

ltollman New commenter

Thanks, Theo.

However, I have been concerned about being 'too expensive' for a new teaching job for some time seeing as I'm on M6. How do other people get around this in their application? I really would be willing to negotiate on pay if I thought the school was great - is it OK to state that in the application? (which is what I did this time)

Or should I throw in the towel for new classroom teaching positions, because I only have a chance at next step TLRs, like a KS3 co-ordinator, for example?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that's fine nowadays, as long as you are willing, of course!

Yes, but only of your fisrt draft E.S. shows that you meet their criteria.

Better luck next time!

Best wishes