1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't get job - my lesson didn't ensure progress

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pjhewett, May 29, 2012.

1. pjhewett

pjhewett New commenter

I am feeling rather low - I had a 1 hour English lesson to do on creative writing. Y4 class of 20 ch (I researched in advance and class teacher was amazingly supportive)

I had props for the ch to touch, feel, etc , got them to think of amazing adjectives and then gave them a scaffold for a sensory poem (in a nutshell - we built up a word bank on board).

I didn't group them but worked round the class to help them all individually.

I got told my lesson didn't ensure progress for all children.

I am just not sure how I could do that with a class I didn't know in 1 hour. If it had been the 1st lesson of term for example I might well give them all the same activity and then use it to help decide what their own next steps should be. I believe the more able children did make more progress than the less able from what I saw, and in the AFL at the end I picked random ch who were able to read some wonderful poetry.

Can anybody help me please - I didn't ask what I could have done differently as I was so surprised.

Thank you!

2. pjhewett

pjhewett New commenter

I am feeling rather low - I had a 1 hour English lesson to do on creative writing. Y4 class of 20 ch (I researched in advance and class teacher was amazingly supportive)

I had props for the ch to touch, feel, etc , got them to think of amazing adjectives and then gave them a scaffold for a sensory poem (in a nutshell - we built up a word bank on board).

I didn't group them but worked round the class to help them all individually.

I got told my lesson didn't ensure progress for all children.

I am just not sure how I could do that with a class I didn't know in 1 hour. If it had been the 1st lesson of term for example I might well give them all the same activity and then use it to help decide what their own next steps should be. I believe the more able children did make more progress than the less able from what I saw, and in the AFL at the end I picked random ch who were able to read some wonderful poetry.

Can anybody help me please - I didn't ask what I could have done differently as I was so surprised.

Thank you!

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Did you have an extension for those children who knew of and could use lots of adjectives already? Did your plan reflect that some children would need extension? Did you identify them in the lesson and group them together on a table and move them on with a little extra teaching?
    It's difficult really to say without having seen the lesson, but these are the first things that stick out in my mind. To be honest, an objective just to use adjectives in their writing seems a little easy for most Year 4 children at this stage in the year.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This sounds like the sort of thing I would do with year 2. Choosing words from a word bank is a level 2 writing skill, which is below year 4 expectations.

AfL at the end is probably not much use in a one off lesson. Using AfL at the start to group the children or to differentiate the task might have made a difference to progress.

I think the lack of progress is possibly because the children could already do what you were asking, so they didn't actually learn anything new despite completing the task to a high standard.

But it is so hard, if not impossible to show progress in a lesson with children you have never met. Really tricky to do.