1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't get job but asked to work with new post holder-for free!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lauramadsen, May 5, 2020.

1. lauramadsen

lauramadsen New commenter

thinking I need to apply elsewhere

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Does this mean you applied as an internal candidate and an external candidate was appointed?
    I did this once and was asked to work with the successful candidate. It was a fantastic opportunity for both of us and worked out really well.

phlogiston and TheoGriff like this.
  3. lauramadsen

lauramadsen New commenter

No it was internal and another internal candidate got it. I have been asked to help the person who was appointed - they haven't been asked about it either. I am not sure how they would feel about needing help. It was also suggested I take on training the NQTS's -again despite not being appointed and someone else in the school being appointed.I have since said that i think its a bit strange to asked to help someone who got the job when i didn't and also that I would be asked to train NQTS when I didn't get the job ( it was to manage CPD). TBH I don't really need the opportunity but I have already got lots of responsibilities and am worried about taking on things for goodwill. I don't want to say no but i also don't think that doing things for free is a good idea, or doing things for someone else when they got the job- surely they deserve the chance to develop themselves? In feedback I was told its a shame they couldn't imply more people but ultimately one person was employed and it wasn't me...

phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ohhh noooo that's a huge shame.
    It's so hard when that happens, but at least you have some choices you can make.

If you don't need anything else for your CV, as it were, then only take on things you want to do. Things that you will enjoy. Say no to the NQTs if you don't want it and yes if you do.

Worry not about the other candidates, they'll be fine.

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@lauramadsen :If I understood your post correctly, your school is at best paying you a backhanded compliment, and at worse cynically exploiting you. You were considered not good enough to get the CPD job, and presumably get paid extra for it, but good enough to do it for free, helping the person who was appointed as, presumably they have less experience of it than you. Ditto for the NQT training job. Being told to 'help' both successful candidates for the jobs you did not get could put you in a very invidious situation. Sounds a bit 'divide and rule'.

A broadly comparable situation would be when an HoD gets an internal promotion but does not take their hand off the tiller, so the new HoD has to work in their shadow.

lauramadsen and agathamorse like this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

And that's the person who should be doing the job - All of it!!!

agathamorse and harsh-but-fair like this.
  7. slugtrial

slugtrial New commenter

I know what this is like. Very hard to accept. Always a draw back of internal applications.

I played them, though. Made a big fuss about ‘not having a grudge’, ‘ask for help at any time’ etc, etc... at the same time still fuming.

When I applied for a similar post at a different school, they gave me a fantastic reference.

On a purely selfish point, that I would only admit here, it was great to hear colleagues say how I should have got the job. Especially when the new bod made a mistake. Quiet snigger.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

One rule I have had is that I have done the duties I want to do (subject to certain things being "givens"). (This sentence isn't "I don't feel like doing the bus duty today so....")
    Only you can decide how whether continued co-operation with the school leadership will result in professional respect and potential promotions later on, or whether they are stringing you along.
    One approach might be to make a list of the things you currently do in addition to the main bits of the job.
    Is this manageable? Is it how you want your professional development to go?
    What sort of work-life balance do you want?
    What sort of skills and achievements will it put on your CV?
    How will supporting your successful colleague impact on your working relationship? It's good to have a trusted buddy to run a second pair of eyes over ideas, it's terrible to feel that someone's out there looking for you to make a mistake and capitalise on it (and the distinction can probably be fine).

The post pandemic world in schools will be unpredictable, but almost certainly busier than we imagine. Leave yourself space to ensure you can fulfil your core role properly.

lauramadsen likes this.