1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't get it, feeling disheartened :-(

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Mar 28, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK, so you didn't get it. Feel free to whinge on here as much as you like - that's what friends are for.
    But let me warn you - we don't stand for you not recognising your good points too!
    So . . .
    • you got an interview. Probably against a lot of competition.
    • you got an interview - despite being away for 3 years. that is SO GOOD!
    • the lesson went ok at the very least
    • the lesson went ok at the very least - despite being away for 3 years. that is SO GOOD TOO!
    First interview in how long? 4 years? 5 years? It would have been a flippin miracle if you had got it. Just getting the interview was fabulous!
    If they are more clued up than you, then you know where you need to improve. Clue yourself up!
    So, have some chocolate, give your children a hug.
    Give them two - one from me!
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo's pretty much said it all. (Don't worry about the moaning. Many of us had had cause to moan here at one time or another. It IS a very supportive forum.)

It really is a big plus that you got to interview. [​IMG] I'd been applying for about 8-10 years, post family before I even got my first interview!
    So others appeared 'clued up'. So get yourself reading here on the TES and via the internet research recent changes, so next time you will be.
    One interview is just one interview. Look upon it as 'CPD' training.

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Yes, at least you got an interview! I'm currently teaching, applied for a job I really wanted and waited with baited breath the whole day...and didn't even get a call for interview!
    So, well done for the interview. I can sympathise with being disheartened. I am, too, but am determined to keep applying!
    Good luck and enjoy Theo's chocolate!

4. I know this is a lot easier said that done, but you mustn't be too disheartened.

Try and write down all the questions you were asked, and then you can keep
    a record of the topics and research them using MiddleMarch's mind mapping technique (this really helped me) see Interview clickables thread for details (its in the one about being nervous)

You might not think it now but this interview has been a massive learning experience and without realising you're preparing yourself for the next one.

Keep up the hard work, because you can do it. Success after disappointment makes it so much more special.

GOOD LUCK!!!!