1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't complete NQT year

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Kotka4, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Kotka4

Kotka4 New commenter

I qualified in 2010 with a PGCE (primary). I had a couple of short contracts and the rest of the time supply teaching until around July 2014. I completed two terms of my NQT year but was unable to find a contract to complete the rest. I haven't taught since 2014 as I became pregnant with my daughter. She's now 1. Is it too late to return to teaching? Is my PGCE useless because I failed to complete my NQT year in time?
    I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me.

2. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

At present there is no time limit on completing an NQT year. There is a five year limit on undertaking day-to-day supply, but I guess yours will be extended slightly because of time in temporary posts and maternity.

3. JackieCooperBennett

JackieCooperBennett New commenter

I qualified in 2003 and didn't complete my nqt year but had my first child, started a childminding business, had another child, did a term of supply, and became a manager of a nursery for a couple of years. Then I decided in 2013 that I was crazy for not going into teaching especially as the holidays would fit in with my family so well. So I contacted the agency I did supply with and they passed on my cv to a school. I got the job, completed my nqt year, the following year because of my management experience I got promoted to team leader of fs2 (4form entry). This year I've applied for an acting deputy job share role in the same school and am due to start in September. So basically no it's never too late, just get good advice and remember that all of your experience counts. Good luck on job hunting.