1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't complete induction but got certificate anyway

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

Several years ago I didn't have a good experience during my NQT Induction and so I left the school during my 2nd term and decided teaching wasn't for me and found alternative employment. I just assumed that if I ever wanted to teach in the future I would be able to complete my Induction in a different school, However several months after leaving the school I received my official certificate congratulating me on successfully completing my induction. Obviously this was send to me in error but I didn't bother to chase it up at the time as I really had no intention of teaching again after my experience so the certificate was irrelevant and I just forgot about it. I am now hoping to return to teaching but am going to be completely honest with new school about not completing my NQT induction and that i will need to complete it with them and so not sure what to do/who to contact about this. Do all NQTs automatically receive these certificates unless notified by schools that they have failed/not completed induction? Or has the previous school passed me by mistake?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

From what you say it would seem to be a mistake. Is it a "proper certificate" or just something from the school? Anyway it is the Appropriate Body - usually the LA who formalises the induction registrations. Schools can check the validity of a teachers status on the NCTL database. You can also use the teacher self service to see what your status is.
    https://teacherservices.education.gov.uk/SelfService/Login

Mistake or not schools would be guided by this database and could not continue with an induction if your status shows passed.
    If it is an error then you have a moral decision to make!