1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diddums!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by nomad, Mar 8, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A head teacher has had to scrub the toilets, clean the school and serve in the canteen. Apparently.

Are there any heads who have not done such tasks because they needed to be done?

Certainly over the past 20 years I have.

DaisysLot, bevdex, Pomza and 4 others like this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

I am not a headteacher or a ceo, but have worked with quite a few. Yes there are heads (but not all) who wouldn't be seen doing such menial tasks. There are heads who will not even teach.

Imho it seems to be the following in general:

Toilet cleaning - no
    Helping out at lunch - yes,.with a free meal and payment
    Classroom cleaning - no
    Emptying bins - no
    Photocopying - yes
    Teaching - some will,.some will not

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Catgirl1964 and nomad like this.
  3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Yep, done all that too!
    Cleaner, caretaker, MSA, playground duty, teaching, secretary etc...etc...etc...
    You mention any role in a primary school and I have done all of them as a headteacher.

4. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

Toilet cleaning - yes
    Unblocking a toilet - yes
    Emptied bins - yes
    Emptied dishwasher- yes
    Swept dinner hall floor- yes
    Served dinner - yes
    Gritted pathways - yes
    Cleared snow from pathways - yes
    Regular playground duty - yes
    Cleared up vomit - yes

I could go on and on.........

Jesmond12, Pomza and digoryvenn like this.
  5. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

Lifted a large poo out of a sink-yes;
    Summer holidays lifting rubbish to skips from clearing out 25 year old cupboards, including putting hand in vermin poison (!)- yes;
    Plus any role any staff member does or has done- usually the first to offer along with the fab SBMs I’ve worked with.

Only thing I’ll avoid is anything linked to processing or handling cash.

6. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I did everything there as a deputy now and then, then regularly as a head. Not newsworthy in the slightest.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes but... her audience for her comments were the general public as part of a headteacher group campaign on funding. I heard her interview on Radio 4 and she wasn't in anyway asking for sympathy. That heads scrub toilets may come as no surprise to teachers, but it probably does to the general public who she is trying to get to support the funding campaign.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

The lengths that some HTs will go to, to avoid having to pay the caretaker a few hours overtime, never fails to amaze me!

Catgirl1964, nomad and Wotton like this.
  9. Admin Princess

Admin Princess Occasional commenter

:D:D

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

When our cleaner is absent there is a definite hierarchy of jobs
    Head-toilets
    Teachers-wipe tables and hover
    TAs-empty bins and wipe sinks

Then there's the fight over who gets to sweep the hall floor as we have the large scissor brushes and they're fun!

titus4t, Flanks, bevdex and 4 others like this.
  11. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Me too!

Trouble is it's not recognised by anyone and leads to workplace stress and workload.

Pomza, nomad and digoryvenn like this.
  12. NJAEducation

NJAEducation New commenter

Agreed. She is working to try to get support for more funding. Good for her.

annascience2012 and Pomza like this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A headteacher who claimed she was forced to clean toilets due to budget cuts received a £10,000 pay rise last year.

Siobhan Lowe, head of Tolworth Girls’ School in Surbiton, said she has been forced to clean the school, serve in the canteen and can no longer afford a deputy headteacher during an interview on BBC Radio 4. However it was later revealed that the school in south-west London had received a 90% rise in its cleaning budget just last year, meaning it was now recieving £57,000 annually to clean – almost double the £30,000 budget from 2017.

Tory MP Nigel Evans later accused the BBC of not presenting the full truth, as the teacher’s pay rise and cleaning budget were not disclosed.

install likes this.
  14. Rott Weiler

I don't know what he means by " the school in south-west London had received a 90% rise in its cleaning budget just last year,". Schools don't get given a cleaning budget. Perhaps he means that despite increasing its cleaning budget by 90% the school still can't afford to pay for the cleaning it needs? Or maybe he's a Tory MP and there could be a general election and a bit of BBC bashing always goes down well with his local constituency party?

15. NJAEducation

Goodness! What’s a cleaning budget? Can I get one of those for my school?

annascience2012 likes this.
  16. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

You’re right.
    Yet another example of a commentator who doesn’t actually know anything about how schools work.

It’s as bad as how little some people in education appreciate how things in the ‘outside world’ work. Who in their right mind, draws national attention to budget cuts at their school, having recently been given a £10k rise?
    Disastrous PR.

No matter what the circumstances, a bit dim.

annascience2012 likes this.
  17. NJAEducation

How do they know she had a £10,000 pay rise I wonder. The exact amount wouldn’t be in the accounts, it would just show that she had moved up a pay band in the annual accounts. I’m curious. What am I missing?

18. Rott Weiler

The MP has read the annual accounts by the look of it. And as you suggest has seen the top paid employee move from to £110-120k band to the £120k-£130k band and decided that meant a £10k pay rise. He's making it up basically to play politics. (And a £120k salary for a head of a 1300 pupil London secondary school, with 6th form and Ofsted Outstanding, is not an unreasonable salary. In my opinion - other opinions are available!)

19. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Yes. That sounds right. Good point.

20. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Yep, I certainly have in the 21 years I’ve been Headteacher. If you’re an effective leader you would have done it at some point. If you haven’t, get out of your office more and support your staff!

bevdex, simonCOAL, digoryvenn and 2 others like this.