1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DiDA

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by tayberry, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Yes - if ever in doubt about the lifespan of a qualification look at the National Qualifications database:
    http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/
    You'll find the DIDA details as follows:
    Operational End Date
    31-Dec-2012
    In my opinion, its not worth starting something new with such a short shelf life. Look at their GCSE instead,its a decent move over from DIDA.

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Could dida not be reaccredited and the shelf life expanded further? I don't know as don't teach it but we had this a few years back when many said OCR nationals where dead and buried and they got renewed

3. Very true, and unlike Nationals which needed a rewrite and extra unit adding in, DiDA was reaccredited without any amendments needed.
    Every exam has a shelf life, it's up to the board to decide if they want to submit it to continue or to replace it with something else.
    There are still quite a few of us who deliver it and offer advice/support here. If you are starting it completely from scratch I strongly suggest looking at my marking grids (in the resource bank) as they do help make the marking somewhat easier. I also suggest you get students to create their basic eportfolio as soon as they have done the time plan, that way they add evidence as they go along which (a) repeats skills & they improve as a result and (b) the work doesn't pile up at the back end andcause even more stress for you and them!
    It's a good course and ours (mostly) enjoy it!

4. Was told by Edexcel rep the other day that DiDA will not be revised/reacredited and that GCSE will be only option (other than BTEC) for them.

5. Sadly this was indicated to me after contacting Edexcel. Shame really, for those who understood it well and didn't "teach to the test" it has been the most open and flexible ICT course in a long time. Which other KS4 spec gives you the complete freedom to practically teach what you want in the way you want? Others by comparison are much much more prescriptive.
    The 35 hour assessment at the end is sometimes a bitter pill though.
    Can we start a campaign for Edexcel to reaccredit it?

6. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

The Edexcel GCSE is very, very similar to DiDA - there's an exam but the coursework is a bit simpler / less demanding to compensate. Still an e-portfolio, still all delivered using online SPBs, etc.