1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DiDA - You can do it

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by clickschool, Jan 3, 2011.

1. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

I've found this SPB has some unusually tricky parts to it. The queries take some considerable thinking about, as does the best way of laying out the questionnaire... also using the database/survey results in the Publications.
    I recommend doing an aggregate (totals) query to count up the number of each portion size, e.g.
    FIELD: Quantity
    TOTAL: Count
    SORT: Descending
    FIELD: Quantity

TOTAL: Group By
    FIELD: Unit

FIELD: Group
    Criteria: "FH"
    For the second query, you could search for food item...
    Like "*beans*" Or Like "*salmon*"
    For the third query... (however tempting it is to search for all the chocolate items!)
    Like "*apple*" And Not Like "*juice*"

Hope this helps.

2. It is similar to 5 a day but not as well thought out as pointed out above. Ive skipped it and stuck with 0909 instead - kids are only getting one attempt at submission though. This one struck me as too many square pegs/round holes.

3. I completely agree that this is an awful database, not nearly as good as the 5 a day one. It's the portion size that I don't understand. What are they actually searching for? Are we saying that the database gives a healthy portion size? I just assumed it gives a quantity on which the nutritional values are based. The searches are going to get pretty complicated if you are searching, for example, for ingredients that are low in fat and sugar, but are not mentioned in the survey responses. Is there any way that Edexcel can clarify what they want? On reflection, I'd have been tempted to skip it too - the survey is a bit vague, but we've coped with that, but I don't actually know what to tell them about the database. It's too late to change now, but I really don't like it.

4. I really do not like this part of "You can do it".
    gq52 I did not do 0909 last year (0908)… I have just about finished the theory and about to let the pupils on to the SPB... hmmmm should I get them on 0909 instead of 0910?