1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DiDA - You can do it Survey Task

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by dangermouse_2007, Jan 26, 2011.

1. dangermouse_2007

dangermouse_2007 New commenter

Hello people,

Ive posted a message on here before and read another topic on this SPB but am really finding this a case as someone else mentioned of a really fiddly spb.

Survey Task
    First of all there is no mention in the walkthrough unlike SPB09 of graphs. However it does say spreadsheet tools.
    The kids have used Pivot tables and graphs to analyse the data and in my opinion the results seem to show what is required. Obviously no formulas have been used at any point.
    Ive seen another school do this using formulas and it looks terrible and "bitty" (im not saying it cant be done better but just commenting on what ive seen)

Interested to know how other people have interpretted the task???
    [​IMG]

2. dangermouse_2007

Hello people,

Ive posted a message on here before and read another topic on this SPB but am really finding this a case as someone else mentioned of a really fiddly spb.

Survey Task
    First of all there is no mention in the walkthrough unlike SPB09 of graphs. However it does say spreadsheet tools.
    The kids have used Pivot tables and graphs to analyse the data and in my opinion the results seem to show what is required. Obviously no formulas have been used at any point.
    Ive seen another school do this using formulas and it looks terrible and "bitty" (im not saying it cant be done better but just commenting on what ive seen)

Interested to know how other people have interpretted the task???
    [​IMG]

3. I have had mixed results... Some of my pupils are using a 'SUBTOTAL' function based on filtered results. All pupils are using a formula for averages with an absolute reference included. Fairly basic stuff.
    The walkthrough does not mention graphs but some of the survey results have to be shown on the Information Point which needs to be "appealing to students". I imagine most of my students will try to achive this through the use of graphs.
    Not had anyone hand in a pivot table for feedback, but I'm convinced I've seen a few playing with them. If a their pivot table allowed for good analysis ('produce meaningful information') I would happily be giving them full marks for this section even without the use of any formulae.
    Hope this helps.

4. dangermouse_2007

Pivot tables in MS Office 2010 are an absolute doddle to do. They are so easy compared to the other versions its great.

I suggest having a look at them. When we did a practice spb with a survey i showed them a video on youtube of pivot graphs and they literally picked them up in no time at all. The beauty is you just bung all the data in a table then away you go. You can have five graphs or so done in half a lesson easy

i emailed dida expert he said pivot tables where fine as a way of producing meaningful results

5. I have had a few of my students ask if they need to analyse all the questions they have put on their questionnaire or is it just enough to get the info for the publications.

6. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

Don't take this as "gospel"... from what I know...so long as students add in results as a tally, use a few useful functions (e.g. SUM, AVERAGE etc) and some graphs, then this suffices. Take the view of looking for skills that you'd expect from a KS4 level student.
    Also, from what I can recall at current...I think on the mark scheme it requires students to write an introduction to go on each report - but this isn't mentioned in the SPB.