1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DiDA Unit 3 Graphics - D203 SPB 0911

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ninasimone, Feb 6, 2012.

1. I wondered whether any of you guys have any experience of teaching Unit 3, Graphics of the DiDA suite? I ask because I am doing some ICT intervention at a school where they dont teach DiDA so in effect are not appropriately set up to deliver it.

The issue is that the school inherited a cohort of yr 11 kids from a school that did offer DiDA but unfortunately the school closed down. Whilst these kids have already completed AiDA/CiDA at their previous school, they have started Unit 3 at their new school with a view to gain a CiDA+.

I havent taught the graphics unit so am a little unsure of how to go about it. The kids are doing the Sept 2011 issue Unit 3 (<u>D203 SPB 0911)</u>, Take it Away.
    Does anyone have real life experience of delivering this unit which involves vectoring graphics? Or even possibly some exemplar material or exemplar E-portfolios?

In trying to accomodate these pupils, the school where I am now bought in Google Sketch up and Adobe Illustrator to help them create the vector graphics. Not sure this software will be OK or not. Have already contacted Edxecel but there is only so much help one can decifer via email.
    I am OK with the planning stuff, i.e. project management side of things as this is a replication of what the kids would have done for AiDA/CiDA. Its the graphics part that I am unsure about.
    • Do the kids plan on paper their designs and then scan onto PCs?
    • Do they use the software we already have to complete the graphics, i.e. Google sketch up or Adobe Illustrator?
    Credit to the kids, as they have completed quite a bit by themselves before I arrived, but I would like to do their work justice. All the kids have previously gained distinction grades on the AiDA/CiDA.
    Any help/material/exemplar work greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Contact me with your details via a direct message and I'll send you copies of previous eportfolios plus other info.
    We are currently doing Take It Away with our y11 too.
    Design log - I expect a design log for each task - research, designs, feedback for designs, chosen solution, description of making inc. some screenshots, feedback for finished product and any improvements made, finished product in suitable file format.
    Designs are sketched on paper or in plain paper ex book then either scanned or photographed for the design log.
    Design logs cover marks sections B&C hence are essentially worth 18 marks!
    We use Serif Drawplus for Vector work as it has many suitable features especially being able to set scale, grids, add dimensions, etc. Some schools use Fireworks (even though it is intended mainly for web graphics). At a stretch you could use the drawing tools in Publisher/PPT/Word, though obviosly they dont have the more sophisticated tools for adding dimensions etc.
    We also use Serif Photoplus for the bitmap image work, though many other products are suitable too.

3. cj3

cj3

Get hold of the Payne Gallway book on D203 Graphics - it has some nice projects in it and will show you the process kids have to go through.

4. ...thank you very much for the support. I will PM you with my email details.
    ...the group I teach have done a great of the work by themselves, and all credit to them for that. I am unsure of the structure of the design brief, i.e. flyer, logo, shop elevation etc . should they complete/design several versions?
    ...I will get the kids to paper design the net, logo and shop elevation and then transfer their plans onto Illustrator for the logo (whihc is a vector program) and Sketch up for the elevation work.
    ...thanks for the advice

5. Hi,
    I am also realyl struggling with this unit and was wondering if I could have some example A grade qulaity work to look at?
    Thanks,

6. Hi,
    I am also really struggling with the unit as it's not my area. Please can you send me some example work that is of high quality?
    Thanks

7. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

I have OSCA for unit 3 at present.
    D203 Take It Away - It is well worth using Google Sketchup for the elevation (free). It is designed for such and it is extremely efficient and easy to use once you get the basics. It can produce great results too. DrawPlus is a good vector application for the box, though Inkscape is a good free alternative. Sometimes it's just about using the right software for the task in hand.

I've not been impressed by any DiDA text books.

gq52 has been extremely helpful with DiDA and is a fountain of knowledge.

8. Thanks for the compliment! [​IMG]
    Google sketchup is good, but I was quite happy for mine to do the scale drawing in Serif Draw Plus and then 'enhance' it for the representation - colour, glass, door furniture, lighting, adding filter effects, people (inside & out), tables & chairs, window signage, "A" boards outside, canopy, etc. Students were generally quite creative with it.
    I have examples but not any at level 2 that were externally moderated as, just for once, we weren't asked to as part of the OSCA random sample (though we were at level 1 yet again). I also awarded the full range of grades, with a couple very close to full marks.
    The biggest problem with requests for samples is that the unit 3 eportfolios are each too large to email - mostly 20Mb plus as a result of the scans/photos/screenshots I encourage mine to do for the design logs. I also want assurance I am not emailing to DiDA students who do pop up asking for help and samples. If you are a teacher I can email some guidance I sent out last year and may send a Cd if you contact me via TES direct message with full details - role,school & contact details please.

9. I too have landed up taking over from a colleague who left us at the end of last year. I am trying to fathom what is needed for the Photomontage - are we looking at pasting rectangular images together? or do the students need to edit the images at pixel level to create something like a "mermaid" from a fish and a female. ?

10. The packaging is the opportunity to show good ability to combine bitmap and vector images, necessary to gain the higher end marks in sections B&C.

Create the packaging net to scale using a vector package then they either need to
    • export the net as an image file eg jpg or png and add bitmap images (photos of suitable food they mostly took themselves) by editing then to the correct proportions for each face by any suitable method - many of mine added them as layers either on top of the net or, after making the panels in the net transparent, adding them below the net.
    • edit and add add bitmap images (photos of suitable food they mostly took themselves)
      by editing then to the correct proportions for each face then adding them on top of the net.
    As always I encourage mine to take their own photos or make use of copyright free images. The better packages had images continuing over edges/around corners, etc as well as commonly seen features - recycling symbol, etc.
    We had some absolutely cracking packaging - pizza boxes (full and for individual slices), salad boxes, noodles, soup & bread (soup in a pot noodle type carton), sandwiches, burger & salad, etc, but it did take them longer than they expected.
    For the digital poster/presentation the photographed the made up packaging and edited backgrounds out. The better ones edited food "in" to the packaging too, also scaling them to look full size in hands.

11. Hi,
    I have got the kids to do it on photoshop. if the theme is healthy carribean then they use a picture of a carribean image (beach, sea etc) and put on top of that their logo and some other images i.e. a person happily eating some food etc...