1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DiDA D205 Games Unit

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by elearningdeveloper, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Hi
    I will be delivering DiDA D205 from September 2010, I would be interested in hearing how schools delivered this unit, software used, problems encountered and any examples of eportfolios.
    Look forward to hearing from you.

2. Hi
    I will be delivering DiDA D205 from September 2010, I would be interested in hearing how schools delivered this unit, software used, problems encountered and any examples of eportfolios.
    Look forward to hearing from you.

3. I have just picked this up this week to cover a teacher. I've had a look through the resources but can't seem to find any real "the game must be" kind of thing. Its all seems to be about the design and evaluations rather than skills in the game. Any ideas or has anyone been on the training course?
    Thanks

4. I am quite perplexed by DIDA unit 5. I'm genuinely curious how any genuine game development of significant challenge can be done in KS4.
    What are the contenders that would be suitable for 15/16 year olds? Games in....
    Scratch? Alice? Mission Maker? Game Maker?
    Any true games programming surely involves complex programming skill of a significant level:- Something like the XNA games studio in C#, Java applets, or some indepth Actionscript'ed stuff in Flash.
    Am I missing some important technology that can challenge, engage and excite? Or is DIDA unit 5 more of a gimmick?

5. cj3

cj3

You can create a decent 2 D platform game in Game Maker which would involve more sohisticated thinking than anything else they will do for KS4 coursework - of course the outcomes are simplified - as are in any coursework unit at this level - eg database/spreadsheet. Kids also find it relevant to theri lives and very motivational. They are actually creating a product which actually has some meaning for them.

6. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Gimmick I am afraid to say with DIDA loosing people hand over fist to do other qualifications some bright spark put out game design - I would suspect there is no one who devised it who has any knowledge of the games industry.
    Personnally I prefer IMedia where the emphasis on design is in one unit and teh actual creation is in another (as would happen in the real world!!!)

7. I feel that DiDA does not really challenge the KS4 students or really teach them anything they have not been taught in previous years. Using ICT being quite easy and boring in fact, with the real issue being can they justify what they have done and why, rather than complex skills used. The plus I am finding with the D205 is that the students are very motivated to create their games as there is no eportfolio as such and they are being quite competitive about who creates the best game. Meaning that they do go off on the net looking at new pieces of code and ideas without much prompting. Im starting to look at Btecs!

8. cj3

cj3

Does anyone have any good examples of games authored in Game Maker that they have submitted for D205 - especially moderated ones?

9. Loved this unit and so did the kiddiwinkles. Had some amazing games and ideas from this. STOP MOANING!

10. This was not directed at you. Am just marking and moderating them at the min. Give me till the end of the week. Have an awesome example!

11. Hii, was reading this message as I'm also doing this unit with my Year 10's. We are now about to start the games design and was wondering if you could perhaps send me an example or two to look at. Thanks a bunch.

Mo.