1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did you see this on the news yesterday?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by anon760, Dec 29, 2011.

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16343221
    Hopefully the link will work! Wondered if other heads read or saw this article yesterday. What are your thoughts? I really couldn't cope with any more interference, think it would absolutely be the straw that finally did for me! In case the link is faulty the headline of the article is 'Ofsted head calls for local school troubleshooters'.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What's the problem? Under Labour they were called SIPs.

3. I interpret it as referring to elective academies who have come out of LA oversight and thus could slip under the radar. No worries for us LA schools (except all the LA monitoring, OfSTED, floor standards moving like goal posts etc).

4. Brian Lightman's blog is interesting: http://brianlightman.blogspot.com/

5. Read Lightman's blog, was very interesting, highlighted the issues that concerned me in the first place. The fact that Sir Michael is saying 'these people would be non-political, in other words they would not be like LEAs responsible to a council... they would be people who would report directly to the secretary of state'. I understand that it is referring to academies, but as 'failing' schools are going to be practically forced to become an academy it is the thin edge of the wedge. I always felt that the SIP was supportive of the school leadership, not so sure about this. Anyway, its just my opinion but can't help feel uneasy about it.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I can well understand your unease, but I'd wait for it to happen first - all we have so far is Wilshire saying 'I think there should be...'
    As for SIPs being supportive - they reported to the LA and had a clear mandate to report potentially failing schools or what they perceived as inadequacy.

7. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Too right. The LA paid the piper and therefore called the tune.