1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did you know you can order a pizza by dialing 999?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The article is not UK based.
    Although, to save sifting through the link, in the UK you can dial 999,remain silent,and then after 10 seconds dial 55.
    it is a service for those who need to call without others knowing.
    What I don't get though, and of interest to me, is how you are meant to then be located.
    Anybody?

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

When a 999 call goes through to the switchboard they can see the number you are calling from. If you have a landline that number will be associated with an address - it's all on the computer.
    However
    simply routes your call through to the police - 999 calls go through to an operator who routes your call to fire, police and/or ambulance depending on the emergency. So it won't automatically locate you if you are calling from a mobile.

https://fullfact.org/online/dialling-55-doesnt-track-location/

colpee, Duke of York and sbkrobson like this.
  4. Duke of York

This article might shed some clues if you call from a mobile.

I remember reading an article a few years ago, that said various organisations are able to track our movements via our mobiles. The examples cited included city planning depts, who wanted to study the flow of pedestrian traffic and possibly more sinisterly, stores who wanted to note which things caught our attention, or where we stopped in the store to shop.

The speed with which the police are able to track down criminals these days is astonishing and probably relies heavily on the criminals telling the police where they are via their mobiles.

sbkrobson likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I didn't know that. This link, to what appears to be the official Police guidance on it, says it only applies to calls from Mobiles (not Landlines) and suggests they can't track your location. Which seems to undermine its value a bit. I'm surprised at that though as most mobile devices nowadays have location tracking on them (unless you've disabled it)

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/si...s/research-learning/Silent_solution_guide.pdf

sbkrobson likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thank you all.
    so we don't know how to silently give our location but we do know how to silently alert that there is an emmergency close to a phone user. Like a life jacket that wont inflate.

Aside-I expect it therefore still carries performance targets for those who are paid to respond to it.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

My mobile accidentally dialled 999 whilst I was out shopping, unbeknownst to me. The phone rang and it was the police wanting to know if I was alright! They were able to pinpoint my location - amazing!

Apparently, it happens quite often when people are walking, and the phone rubs up against something in your bag or pocket. Obviously, it's a silent call, and they have to assume you're in trouble. I thanked the operator for that.

Similarly, my toddler daughter punched 999 into the landline, and the operator stayed on the line until I discovered my daughter muttering into the receiver.
    I apologised profusely! It happens a lot.:)

sbkrobson likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah good, that's all I wanted to know-if, rather than how. I suppose if they told us how, they'd have to shoot us.
    My kid also has dialled 999 as a toddler, it's true, it must be very common, and we actually got a house call from a WPC because of it, who happened to be close and was told to drop in. Drop in she did, and while we were chatting on the sofa (they had time and people power to do that in the nineties) she was very good at explaining that no, a 999 does not have three flakes.

Dunteachin likes this.
  9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Well, from what I've gleaned from watching Line of Duty etc, it's all done by phone masts and signals .

10. Duke of York

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Really? many people who have been victims of crime will think differently.

12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

You can dial 112 too.

13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

If you got a pizza by dialing 999, would it have a truncheon meat topping? Delivered to Letsby Avenue?

bajan and towncryer like this.