1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did you know uppity is a racist word?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Nov 25, 2019.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I just tried to explain I've never heard of the other interpretation though have heard of the word, not getting at you and nothing difficult there but we aren't in the USA and that's not a difficult concept either.

Kandahar likes this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I can see if you were born lower class and acquired the means (Russell) to look as if you werent, yet hadn't the skills and mannerisms associated with the class to which you aspired, uppity would be as a sword to the heart.

3. needabreak

I wonder if the term arrogant would be more or less acceptable these days.

4. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

Well I;ve lost minutes of my life wading through this lot and wonder what the reproductive verb has happened to this place. If it's an American insult then don't use it over the pond. In English it is a description of an attitude possibly along the lines of " all fur coat and no knickers"
    Oh and having read all this couldn't find what PoC mans so presume I am terrible at fault there too

PS if you are an animals right muppet then consider fur to be fake and I'll leave knickers to the imagination.

5. needabreak

That will be my goat2 definition. :D

Jesmond12 likes this.
  6. needabreak

Quite, I don't think I've read a single article about her, presumably I'm reading the right newspaper, I've not done scandalous tabloids for decades thus barely recognise 'celebs' of any description, those newspapers do no one a good service least of all their readers... but then I have other sources of entertainment.

Corvuscorax and Kandahar like this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

PoC means Person of Colour. Beige apparently doesn't count as a colour.

8. needabreak

PoC sounds like another phrase from the USA.

Kandahar, lanokia and nomad like this.
  9. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

And, partly as a result of that, we have kids in schools claiming that a comment is ‘racist’, ‘sexist’ or ‘some-other-ist’ just because they don’t like it. When people see offence everywhere, they begin to overlook the real cases.

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Or to describe an Afro American woman living in London.

T34 likes this.
  11. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Was she offended?

Kandahar and sbkrobson like this.
  12. needabreak

I doubt she has any idea who the presenter is... Seen in context I'd hope she'd understand... Or she could Google it here like I did and realise its likely no racial slur was meant here in the UK... Pretty sure he's said the phrase about his wife or others before, it seems like his type of language.

13. needabreak

I ran into grief with an aunt in the US once by saying their house was homely... Didn't know what hit me and there was no Internet to Google or clarify.

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Is a word or phrase only racist if the person referred to announces their offence?

T34 and Scintillant like this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No?

Damn!

That doesn't augur well for buff, camel, oatmeal, tan, wheaten, kasha, greige, sand, biscuit, cream, ecru, mushroom, taupe, putty, neutral or warm stone.

border_walker likes this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I was going to post that. Doubtless some will say we are both unwoke and offensive. And a word means what I choose it to mean...

17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Why should the word be viewed differently? Should you only be allowed to call a white person rude, lazy, or incorrect, for example? Unless a word is used specifically because of a person's race, or gender et al, what is the problem? If you say that Mary Morgan has messed up the accounts and is being hysterical about it because she is moody and hormonal like all women, that would be sexist. If you said Mary had made a mistake in her accounting and was rude to you when you told her, then you wouldn't (necessarily) be showing sexism.

18. T34

T34 Lead commenter

You can't trust your childhood interpretations.
    Learning is lifelong

Did you ever wonder what the "up" was about in "uppity"?

I've very little idea what that is, so I will take my own advice and not make a guess

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well something is deemed racist if the victim deems it racist. The n-word has both a friendly greeting meaning and a racial slur meaning (granted with a concocted spelling alteration) so interpretation is key.

20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

The go to colour for gentlemen of a certain age. I am not there yet!

nomad likes this.