1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did you know uppity is a racist word?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Difficult to understand much of modern history - even the history of the UK - without understanding a fair bit of US politics and history.

Which explains a lot about your posts!

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

There is a difference between understanding and "having an interest", of which I have little regarding the US.
    The addition of an ad hominem will not bolster your misunderstanding I'm afraid.

3. Weald56

London Canary is 100% correct on this.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

its is not "educating" to ridicule people for not knowing some tiny obscure fact tht they have never come across before.

You didn't answer my question about whether you have ever used the words "pixie" or "gnome" or "elf". I bet you have, but I bet you are now googling the origin of those words to make sure you give a politically correct denial.

How about "brain storm" or "obsessive" or "meltdown"?

Have you ever referred to anyone as "stout"? or used the word "lime"

5. Weald56

It's clear from your posts that there are many things you comment on fail to interest you, and as a result your opinions lack substance.

I've always found people who are intelligent and worth listening to are interested in the world about them.

6. Weald56

Even before I retired some years ago, no-one in education seriously used 'brainstorm' any longer.

7. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Hear hear.

artboyusa likes this.
  8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I don't think so. I would never call someone pixie or a goblin.

9. Corvuscorax

I am not talking about calling people that, I am asking if you have ever used the words, or any representation of the objects.

10. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I have used it, but with no racist meaning.

Kandahar, Jesmond12 and Jamvic like this.
  11. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

Oh dear, I’m sorry (genuinely) I should have added a toungue-in-cheek emoticon of some sort, if there is one. I am absolutely not intending any reference to anyone posting on his thread.

I think the point I was (rather lamely) trying to make (not that I am an avid follower of the doings of royals and celebs) is that -
    some of the media flak directed at Meghan Markle seems rooted in the idea that Harry should have married an upper-class well-brought up English gel who would, for instance, have known how to manage staff. Rather than an American (gasp!) actress (the horror!) who is oh dear, how are we supposed to refer to it these days, not really white.

I expect Eamonn Holmes would have used a term like “uppity” in that context. It was an unfortunate choice.

Jamvic likes this.
  12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Pixie has become a fairly popular girls' name after Bob Geldof and Paul Yates' third daughter.

Kandahar likes this.
  13. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Is that a deliberate attempt to ridicule the disabled?

Kandahar likes this.
  14. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I find Eamonn Holmes quite uppity.

bombaysapphire and Kandahar like this.
  15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

This...

...and this

D3F7DAFB-CDF7-4292-BF94-2B1AC5C27A36.jpeg

16. T34

T34 Established commenter

Holmes is apparently from a Northern Irish, catholic background.
    This may have something to do with his choice of word.

To me, implicit in using the word "uppity" is the very old-fashioned assumption of a class system - the assumption that we each have our station in life. The class may correlate with colour, religion, politics or whatever.

It is a derogatory word, used either by a member of a higher class to describe a member of a lower class, or by a member of the lower class acting in an "uncle Tom" role, i.e. condoning his own low station in life and criticising another member of his class for having aspirations beyond this station.

I think Holmes may have been using it in this latter meaning,

peter12171 and Jamvic like this.
  17. Corvuscorax

I would use it to mean the person I was referring to thinks of themselves as better than me, and is looking down on me

Kandahar and border_walker like this.
  18. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Who else remembers the third verse below of Cecil Frances Alexander's hymn All things bright and beautiful, which is now usually omitted when the hymn is sung?

The rich man in his castle,
    The poor man at his gate,
    God made them high and lowly,
    And ordered their estate.

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small,
    All things wise and wonderful,
    The Lord God made them all.

19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

My parents had a Goblin Teasmade. Is that a bad thing?

20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I was an Elf at Brownies. Kill me now.

My children were taught that verse in Primary, dodros. Wasn't even a Church school.

I'm now going to avail myself for the second time ever of the ignore function. Apologies if my replies seem even more disjointed than usual.