1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did you know uppity is a racist word?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

One of our favourite games with our little American nieces and nephew is comparing what we call things. Considering that I read American books and watch American films I am still surprised at the ones I'm not aware of.

Jamvic likes this.
  2. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Is there a suggestion that Eamon Holmes was fully cognisant with US etymology and deliberately chose that word in order to racially insult Meghan Markle? Why would he do that? Is it in his best interest to do such a thing? I bet if you surveyed 10,000 Brits, 9950 would have little idea of the use of the word "uppity" in a racist context.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

in relation to how she is reputed to have treated servants, I believe.

border_walker likes this.
  4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The arguments blaming you for pointing it out are entertaining though.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Particularly if they are of the generation which has never seen Blazing Saddles.

sadscientist likes this.
  6. Corvuscorax

well, why? nobody is aware of everything, nobody knows things they haven't been told - there is PLENTY you are not aware of.

7. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

Ah thank you. Picking on her for that sounds like a bit of typical Brit snobbishness to me.

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Ah yes, but you see, the use of the word 'uppity' has been modified and made racist by the use of the 'n' word.

The word 'uppity' is not racist in se.

9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Prime example of casual racism.

Kandahar and Mangleworzle like this.
  10. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

"The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language." A quotation widely attributed to George Bernard Shaw.

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language." Oscar Wilde, The Canterville Ghost (1887).

11. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

"Debating an incident at Wimbledon, in which attempts had been made to stop tennis fans photographing the Duchess of Sussex, Holmes had used the term to "describe what he interpreted as arrogance", according to Ade Rawcliffe, ITV's Head of Diversity.

Holmes had said: "If you have an uppity attitude, you're only through the door two minutes and suddenly you're sitting at Wimbledon and your royal protection are saying, 'No photographs, no photographs!"

https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/itv-apology-eamonn-holmes-meghan-markle-uppity-1321100

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I believe that word sometimes has 'dumb' and 'ass' before it in certain media and usage.

As you say... this doesn't render 'dumb' or 'ass' racist.

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. Corvuscorax

in what way?

would I have got a different response if I had said "in relation to how she treated employees"?

Kandahar and monicabilongame like this.
  14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

The question here is really "can an adjective on its own, as in without an accompanying noun or pronoun, be a racist/ageist/misogynist/any-other-'ist'-you-can-think-of word?"

border_walker and nomad like this.
  15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The opposite surely? It sounds like an accusation she is being snobbish to the servants.

.. and this.

Kandahar likes this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

No. From the
    Forced to issue an unnecessary "apology" by his bosses after complaints from the likes of London Canary. His kind have replaced "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" as the self-appointed arbiters of moral rectitude.

17. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Never heard of it in that context and with US rellies in the South you'd think I might have in over 50 years.

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

May I join in with the general abundance of non logic and disconnect in this thread and add that whilst Megan wears some very nice dresses, Mr Holmes does tend to skimp on the quality of his shoes?
    Also, I am definitely not racist-I live next door to some very nice Americans and it hasn't yet made me want to move in the slightest even if now and then they don't use English in the correct way.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I'm not complaining, just educating.

T34 and Jamvic like this.
  20. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Possibly because many of us have not lived in the US, and as in my case, have very little interest in that part of the world, excepting music and art. Its politics and history are of little interest to me in the grand scheme of things.