1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did you know uppity is a racist word?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Nov 25, 2019.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Only by those who would automatically see it that way - perhaps those who are oversensitised to the issue and see racism where none actually exists. In the context of Markle being imperious to her staff (not born to privilege and position and therefore not knowing how to handle it) the thought of the word being used in a racist manner would not have occurred to me.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Not obvious to me. I'd never heard of it used in anything other than a class context until this thread. If it's predicated on a belief that black (only black?) people are per se of a lower social class than white people, then maybe you shoukd rethink who you mix with abdnwhat you read.

Otherwise i'm going to have to toss it aside as yet another valiant effort to find fault and a Bad White Attitude wghere none actually existed.

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Not me. I am just referencing extensive historical (and current|) usage of the word, applied to African Americans.

Jamvic likes this.
  4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Funny, never associated the word with class or race. If somebody is being uppity, they are being uppity regardless of race, creed sexuality, age or status.

5. Aquamarina1234

Bloody phone.

In SWales, where I'm from, it was common for men to refer to a younger man or a workplace subordinate as "boy". "Finished that oil change, boy?" "Fancy a pint, boy?"

The only other place I've heard it used is on the telly by redneck southern staters belittling an African American. By the logic applied above, SWales shoukd be repirted to The Paranoid Thought Police for using a term someone somewhere else thought racist.

6. LondonCanary

Would you use the term "boy" to address to Barack Obama?
    It's about context. Uppity referring to an American, who is African American, means uppity Negro.

T34, Jamvic and Scintillant like this.
  7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

No. I wasn't aware and I don't think Eamon Holmes was either. To me, uppity means snooty. Yet another fuss out of all proportion.

8. Aquamarina1234

Is this your latest thing? I see you followed me over to Strictly to lob accusations of racism about there too.
    Maybe you need a new hobby.

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. LondonCanary

I am really astonished by so many people being unaware.

T34, Jamvic and Scintillant like this.
  10. LondonCanary

I preceded you. I don't see why people are so astonished that the UK population is a bit racist.

Scintillant likes this.
  11. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

No need to get uppity (insert emoticon of your own choice).

HelenREMfan likes this.
  12. LondonCanary

upload_2019-11-25_11-30-56.png

Kandahar likes this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I liked your earlier post which pointed out that yes, the meaning was originally used in a racially charged context. Because I like etymology and it was new information for me.

But now I think you're posting here just for some sort of abstract win, because if you review the thread, most of the posts are actually saying that no, I didn't know this word connotes racism.
    Why on earth are you posting astonishment at that 29 posts into the thread?

i don't for one second believe you are "astonished", I just think that you are enjoying having a little company here.
    We all are.
    But perhaps a little company plus a win of words is not such a sympathetic ask.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The racist nature seems to be more in the American usage as that is historically how it was used there, whereas in Britain class has been more historically divisive especially in the absence of overt slavery in the British Isles. The use of the word in those two countries is therefore differently nuanced.

In this context it is easy to see how the Eammon Homes - Megan Markle occurrence can cause controversy and some puzzlement depending on your background.

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Lots of words in American English have different meanings from the meaning they have here. Are we not allowed to use any of them? And should we loudly criticise Americans for using words their way, for example, 'fanny pack', because it sounds wrong to our ears? I don't think so, and not should we be precluded from using words because in another country they might mean something else.

16. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

no, its not obvious at all, it is a normal common word, commonly used with absolutely no racial connotations, Holmes was not in any way being racist.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Came back here to say this.

So cheers, now I don't need to.

We import too many American racial attitudes and ideas... let's not bring this one in too.

18. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

have you every used the word "pixie" or "goblin" @LondonCanary?

19. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

From The I website:

"ITV has apologised after presenter Eamonn Holmes used the word 'uppity' to describe Meghan Markle.

The TV host was unaware that the word was used as a 19th century insult to black people in the US who ‘did not know their place’ when he used it during a discussion about privacy on This Morning in July".

Jamvic likes this.
  20. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

I confess I’m also surprised at the number of people who aren’t aware of the common usage in the USA of “uppity ni&&er” as a specific insult to black people. I don’t know the context in which Eamonn Holmes used the word. Was he suggesting she is unpopular in this country because she is seen as “uppity”?

Jamvic and Scintillant like this.