1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did you know uppity is a racist word?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

You do now!

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It isn't.

It means putting on or marked by airs of superiority: arrogant, presumptuous.

Nothing racist about that, in essence.

It can have racist connotations when applied in a racist context. Whether Eamonn Holmes was doing that when talking about Meghan Markle I don't know, but I suspect not.

"Arrogant" and "presumptuous" can have racist connotations when applied in a racist context too.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Googled it.

Seems someone [Eamon Holmes] used it when referring to Meghan Markle.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I have used it occasionally (not to their faces) to describe some kids and adolescents. Just so happens they've all been white.

border_walker and needabreak like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"I can confirm that it absolutely is not"
    upload_2019-11-25_9-30-32.jpeg

7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have always interpreted it as a class put down as in someone not accepting their place class wise and taking on their 'betters"...as "betters" is a word in a similar vein. I have never really associated it with any racist aspect.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Uppity has a long history of racist usage, especially when paired with the N word or directed at a PoC.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's definitely pejorative. I prefer cheeky or insolent to describe those who I consider to be over-reaching in childhood but even those are unlovely adjectives.

I no longer use uppity. I am sure it is used as a racial slur but only by racists. Non-racists use it too.

phlogiston likes this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Here's the etymology
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/uppity

But that does not mean that somebody who uses it right now is a racist.

Besides which, I never knew that individual words in themselves were racist,
    Just people.

This article sums up the origin, presumably, of what is likely to snowball into another news nothing about identity politics and equality and the royal family and celebrity love island and other non thinking sorts of distracted and irrelevant outrage
    https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/itv-apology-eamonn-holmes-meghan-markle-uppity-1321100

meanwhile the economy crumbles.

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

So do the words dirty and lazy and no doubt a host of others too. Are they all 'racist' words?

12. LondonCanary

No. Uppity is particular and not an everyday word.

13. Corvuscorax

uppity is a very everyday word

14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, I did know that.

Only in certain usage though and not in the common everyday usage

install likes this.
  15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

And was he using the word suggest that she was getting ideas above her skin shade? Or that she was getting ideas above her station?

I might well use the phrase 'getting uppity' about someone and that it might have racist origins or be used in a racist manner would never even occur to me.

Word meanings have origins but meanings change over time with usage in different contexts. 'Naughty' at one time meant evil, but now it simply means misbehaving. 'Wicked' meant thoroughly bad, in my lifetime; now to a younger generation it means the opposite.

We can choose to be purists about word meanings and origins - like Rees Mogg did when he pointed out that something was not a shambles because it wasn't actually a butchers' alley where animals were slaughtered... or we can be sensible about language and not use it to try and score points, or push an agenda - something feminists did a lot of in the '70's which resulted in arguments over phrases like 'manhole cover' for instance.

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

John-Tenniel-Humpty-Dumpty.jpg

Attached Files:

speechcompanyinfo, xmal and sbkrobson like this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Uppity is one of those intermediate cases: The basic meaning is devoid of any racist connotations while a derived meaning, known mostly to a segment of American English speakers (and to many among them, I suspect only vaguely) is a dismissive reference to black people.

install, Jamvic, needabreak and 2 others like this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I seem to recall the context was regarding her imperious treatment of her staff, which had resulted in dismissals and general upset. I didn't regard it as racist. You can be any colour and be high-handed, out of your depth and a poor manager.

19. Corvuscorax

I honestly don't think @monicabilongame was seriously suggesting Holmes was using the word to say Markle was getting ideas above her skin shade!

Jamvic likes this.
  20. LondonCanary

Its pretty stupid to use the word "uppity" to refer to a PoC. It's obviously going to be viewed as racist.

sadscientist likes this.