1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did you gain a Cert Ed at Worcester up to and including 1977?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, Aug 2, 2011.

1. impis

impis New commenter

2. impis

impis New commenter

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I went to Worcester '76 -'79 and got a BEd. Is this going to be upgraded to an Honorary Honours Degree or maybe a Masters?
    What is the justification for this?

4. impis

impis New commenter

No,
    It is only for the students who completed the Certificate of Education - the 3 year teacher training course, which was subsequently replaced by BEd.
    It is in recognition for the fact that the Cert Ed was in fact a course which was studied at degree level.
    The last year of the Cert Ed were those students who, like me, comleted it in 1977.
    And of course, it will gain the University a good amount of positive publicity, I would think.

5. DM

DM New commenter

It might equally well generate negative publicity e.g. accusations of dumbing down or devaluing other degrees.

6. impis

impis New commenter

Why would it do that?
    There are plenty of people in the public eye who are given honorary degrees for all sorts of reasons, mostly NOTHING to do with the subject at all. No one seems to bother about that much .
    Like this chap, for instance, who didn't even complete his own course at the university:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2016959/True-Blood-star-Alexander-Skarsgard-gets-honorary-degree-Leeds-University.html
    At least we studied hard for ours - and it was bloomin hard work too.

7. You wouldn't say that if you'd actually taken the Cert Ed. I did, but not at Worcester.
    I was very miffed that the intake in the year after me did exactly the same rigourous course but left with a degree. I needed three good A levels to get my place at Teacher Training College - affiliated to the University of London. If it had been spelled out to me in the 6th form that three years of study at a University would end in a degree, I'd have gone to Universtity. (No careers guidance back then!) Academic sixth formers usually became doctors, lawyers, engineers or teachers.
    However, in the 60s and 70s if you wanted to be a teacher, you trained to teach - at a teacher training college.
    All my fellow students were 'academic'.....so it's worthy recognition that some students didn't get the qualification their study deserved.
    How lovely Impis. I hope other former teacher training colleges follow Worcester's lead. (I was at my sister's graduation a few years ago in the lovely Cathedral in Worcester.)

8. DM

DM New commenter

Archie,
    You can get one of these freebies for two years study at this institution. This (combined with the rebranding of almost every former college and polytechnic as universities) certainly devalues university degrees in my eyes.
    If someone offered me a no-effort upgrade to my qualifications I might take it too so I am not criticising Impis although it does look as if it could end up being a costly affair.
    DM

9. ljr

ljr New commenter

Wouldn't this mean that ALL Cert Eds should be upgraded then, at whatever institution they were studied for and
    awarded? The three years ofl science I did would almost certainly give me a degree these days.

10. impis

impis New commenter

I guess that all ex teacher training colleges that are now Universities in their own right, can decide who to give their honorary degrees to.
    If you think its a good idea, and your college is now a University able to award degrees, why not write to them and suggest it?

11. Makes me wish I had gone to Worcester instead of Madeley now. Although I would have missed out on all those fit PE lasses (who mostly got snared by all the fit PE lads).

12. impis

impis New commenter

You would have liked it at Worcester, Dekka. The girls outnumberd the lads 3 to 1.

13. I wish you hadn't told me that.

14. impis

impis New commenter

LOL!

15. Was that just at Worcester? I completed a Cert Ed in 1980, then did an extra year at college and came out with a BEd hons.

16. impis

impis New commenter

Must have been just Worcester then. I thought it was nationwide, but obviously not, if you did the course in 1980.

17. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I was a 'PE Main' 76'-'79
    I remember the 3/1 ratio vividly [​IMG]

18. impis

impis New commenter

LOL! So do I!

19. Actually, there is some precedent for this sort of thing. If i remember correctly, back in the days of the CNAA (~1970 to 90?), holders of various certificates and diplomas were offered the chance to receive degrees, as these former qualifications were accepted as eqivalents. There were even certain qualifications that were considered to be equal to a CNAA PhD!

20. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Maybe not the time to use a clenched fist logo, Stoppers!