1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did you do your degree near your home town?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perdita, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I ask because of a conversation I recently had with my mum. I was having a rant about the whole tuition fees situation and bemoaning the fact that my children would probably have to attend the local university, should they choose to go into HE.
    She couldn't understand what the problem was until I pointed out that, because very few places offered my subject, I had no choice but to leave home (or do a degree that I wasn't interested in or any good at!)

2. I ask because of a conversation I recently had with my mum. I was having a rant about the whole tuition fees situation and bemoaning the fact that my children would probably have to attend the local university, should they choose to go into HE.
    She couldn't understand what the problem was until I pointed out that, because very few places offered my subject, I had no choice but to leave home (or do a degree that I wasn't interested in or any good at!)

3. No

Though the subject that I read was available anywhere and is taught well at Universities close to home

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Yes but I still lived away x

5. I did. But I was lucky that I could choose from a few Universtities/colleges that did BEd and were close enough to home. I was the first in our family to go to University and my Mum and Dad asked me to stay local because they didn't think they could afford for me to go further afield. That was 20 years ago! (Eek).
    I lived at home for 2 years and then moved out to live with friends for the last 2 years. I kept my Saturday/holiday job for the full 4 years too.
    Doesn't really apply to the tuition fee situation at the moment but my family were not well off at all and we struggled to keep me there for 4 years.

6. close enough to come home in a rush, but not so close that parents would know what I was up to! i don't see what difference the tutition fees would make as you can't pay them upfront anyway? I haven't looked into it too closely.

7. Yes - within walking distance for my degree and within 15 miles for my PGCE.
    Reasons were
    1. Money.
    2. Family (I helped care for my Nan which meant by Mum could still work full time and thus help me out with cash from time to time). Moving away would have meant her giving up work, thus no spare cash and I would have had more debt from borrowing more to pay rent etc.
    3. Local Uni was highly regarded and people on my course had come a couple of hundred miles to do the same course.

8. I was lucky enough to go to university in the days when we got a grant. My parents only had to make a small contribution towards my living expenses. I'm anticipating paying tuition fees and living expenses. If they live at home then we'll save on rent, at least.

9. You are indeed, a good girl[​IMG]

10. [​IMG] Hope that didn't seem patronising.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I did my teacher training in my home town of Liverpool so that i could give my grant money to my mum as we were not well offf.........it did me no harm but sometimes i wishe i had gone to uni instead of TTC.....I had to do my dergree the hard way though OU and by then i was married when it was completed.

12. I know a few people who have done it this way - seems incredibly difficult and time consuming to me

13. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Home was rural Lincolnshire and I went to Aberdeen! Used to take all day by train. I went where the course was.
    Living at home is a luxury available only for those who live in a Uni city. If you're in the country than you're spending on travel so you might as well live away.

14. Indeed, I grew up in Cornwall. As far as I'm aware there were no higher education establishments in Cornwall. I could have gone to Plymouth Poly (as it was then), but they didn't offer my subject.

15. My hometown is Chesterfield, Derbyshire however I did my subject degree at Cambridge University. My degree wasn't offered at my local universities.
    However, I did my PGCE degree at Sheffield (my nearest university).
    Also, I completed my NQT year away from home - in Manchester.

16. It didn't. It wasn't easy as sometimes I'd go to college in the morning, come home and go back for another lecture. Some of these lectures were evening ones as I picked modules which were part of both the full time and part time degree course.
    I think the people who had it really tough were single parents with young children. They, however seemed more organised and got better results than many who lived away from home and had no commitments.

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Lived in Brum did my degree in Smethwick (Chance Tech. anyone)?

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I tried to do my degree away from home - health issues meant I was forced to give up after 18 months, I finally got my degree at home - with the OU.
    Later I managed a year away and got my PGCE (moved from West Midlands to Leeds for that).

19. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Did my degree only 35 miles from home ( cheap and quick to travel there ) Lived in halls for first year, second year lived at home and commuted. Final year lived in a shared house.
    My eldest is currently in first year at university an hour and a half away. She didn't want to go much further away due to cost and time spent travelling home. Having said that, we haven't seen her yet this year !

20. Did my degree in my home town - 3 kids (the youngest being 1 when I started). Very tough but it was worth it (a First with Special Commendation).