1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did this RIP suffer the vaguarities of the TES censor?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

What makes you think a lot of Indian people read this forum? It's not very relevant to that country.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I don't know the word vaguarities.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

vaguariies? Who are you trying to impress?

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It isn't a word in the English language.

I assume the OP meant vagarities.

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Ah. Apparently it means vagueness. I wonder who made it up.

8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Please use plain english, dukie!

9. Duke of York

No, I'm taking the opportunity to point out the idiocy of a swear filter that would prevent anyone who wished to acknowledge their respect for this individual. It took a lot of complaints for TES to accept that one of the stars of Mary Poppins wasn't actually known as Penis van Lesbian and so far, they've accepted that it's fair enough for anyone with the name of Dick, not to be asterisked out. It doesn't work though if you refer to numerous *****, as I'm anticipating this post will reveal. Let's see what it does if I refer to the Netherlands sea defences when I call them *****.

Is it not time that a website for professional people treats them as such?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

O dear.
    Let's see-
    Dikshit.
    Yep-works.
    What a silly thread it might have degenerated into otherwise.

You're welcome.

nomad likes this.
  11. Duke of York

You have no idea how offensive that will be to some people, and in particular TES moderators, especially the Yanks who cover the night shift.

I've been taken to task by mentioning the H word that isn't Heaven, by those Yankee fruitcakes who live in the bible belt, so I hope you don't get banned for the vile language you used.

In case we never again get the opportunity to converse, may I take the oppotunity to say what a pleasure it was knowing you and to thank to for the likes you gave my posts, meagre as they were.

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's a name which is Hindu Brahmin from the Indian subcontinent and incidentally it sounds like a couple of words strung together into the sorts of profanities which English speaking school kids snicker at, until they come to the realisation that their own names could conceivably mean far worse in distant tongues, such is language.

It's a name which has launched Delhi and other large swathes of India into two days of mourning. There will be many readers of this forum who hold hands with the political significance of her passing, by heritage, by marriage, by politics and worldliness, and they will be simultaneously marking the occasion by briefly and quietly face palming upon reading your opening post.
    Namaste.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    nomad and LondonCanary like this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Weren't the Vagarites one of the tribes of Israel in the Old Testament?

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Whatever this thread may eventually degenerate into, it started in exceptionally poor taste, using the name of a highly respected Indian politician who has recently passed away either as a source of humour or to take a swipe at the site's moderation.

The name is actually pronounced 'Dixit' and in Western countries the spelling is often altered to illustrate this.

15. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Sheila was Chief Minister during our time in Delhi. Having left the third form some time ago we preferred the Dixit spelling. In passing: the word is 'vagaries'.

bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Never heard of her myself. But then I will admit Indian poloticis is not my interest, unless they are threatening to nuke neighbour,

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Actually it is pronounced "Dix Hit" with a semi- aspirant before the second "i", and the transliterated spelling you refer to arose from the Western mispronunciation, rather than vice versa.
    This is from listening to Indian news, rather than referring to Wikipedia in order to post something.