1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did studying the Classics enrich your life?

Discussion in 'Classics' started by Spanakopita, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Mmm. It's taken my since Saturday to find it. The new arrangement is far from enriching my life.

2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Don't worry, too much, Gossypion.

It will become as obvious as was the old board.

3. Not without a few tweaks, it won't.

4. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

I can't get on with this new style board. So I have to join the group every time I want to post? Where can I see all the topics dispayed like in the old days?

As the daughter of a house-painter and a dress-maker, learning Latin and Greek has certainly enriched my life. Thank goodness for my grammar school that offered such opportunities. I think the abolition of the grammar sector in most parts of the country an absolute scandal. It's pretty unlikely that a working class kid like me would ever get such a chance these days.

I hope you're feeling better, Andromache.

5. Latin to A Level and Ancient Greek to O Level has enriched my life. I find Romance languages relatively easy to understand (in written form at least), and have an interest in classical literature that was sparked by my wonderful Latin teacher. When applying for university, I was granted an interview solely because the head of faculty wanted to know what type of person studied the classics in these modern times (early 1980s) - he thought I was an oddity! Once shared a taxi in Colombia with three other ex-pats - all of us had Latin A Level, so i suppose we're not that rare!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I spent six years singing and speaking church latin before having the shock of the classical pronunciation forced upon me. It seemed, well, just so weeny, weedy and weaky after all those lovely rich Italian sounds..

Actually, I was **** at latin at secondary school.

Mores the pity, since I'm fascinated by Roman history. Last week I went on my first trip to Rome. The Sistine Chapel left me cold but the Forum had me fighting back tears.

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

It certainly enriched my life. I'm teaching internationally now, and in each interview I've had it's been brought up by the interviewer. Here in Taipei I have an Odyssey study group & a group of 4 year 7 girls who are teaching me Mandarin in exchange for some Greek.

The kids can't get enough of it... I just need to get it on the timetable :)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have just been reading this thread again. What a shame the Classics forum seems to have died a sad death.

9. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Is it the Classics forum, or is it Classics in the schools?

10. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Classics in schools is alive and kicking, it's this bliddy forum. It used to be so easy to pop in and have your say. Now it's a palaver and poeple can't be bothered. We're all pretty busy.

11. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

It's taken me fifteen minutes to get onto this thread to make a reply via a Kindle. Have now lost interest in commenting...

12. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

I believe that studying Latin was HUGELY beneficial to me, in a number of ways.

1. When I went to university to read Law, I found that many of the new concepts I had to learn about were usefully labeled in Latin. Because I could translate the labels, they acted as an excellent aide-memoire to the concepts. I remember a fellow student, MR, keeping a careful and meticulous log of all of the Latin tags together with their explanations, and spending a lot of time trying to commit it all to memory because, to her, volenti non fit injuria and ex turpi causa non oritur action and delegatus non potest delegare were just meaningless jumbles of letters; whereas to me, the labels told me all I needed to know about the concepts and I could devote my learning time to other matters. I am sure there are other fields in which the same could also be said.

2. I am also interested in history - particularly legal history - and many important source materials are written in Latin. Many of them are not available in translation. But even where they are, the translations which are available are often of limited value because they are literary translations which frequently miss important points because the relevant historical questions were not present in the translators' minds when attempting their translations. Unless you are able to attempt your own translation, you can be led seriously astray: see, for instance, the vast amount of academic ink which has been spilt debating what, exactly, Bede meant by "iuxta exempla Romanorum" when writing about Aethelberht's dooms. Even Dorothy Whitelock settles for "these were modeled on Roman originals" when, quite plainly, Bede cannot possibly have meant this (had he meant this he would have used the correct Latin word to describe the type of legislative instrument they were modeled on, rather than coining his own expression decreta ... iudiciorum [/] to try to express in Latin the Andlo-Saxon concept of domas ).

3. Latin forces you to think about language and sentence structure in a particular way. I believe I can usually identify somebody who has studied classical languages from the way they express themselves in English prose; and I fancy that those who have studied classical languages tend to be crisper and more precise in their expressions, and so less liable to fall into ambiguity.

4. It has given me a standard password which I use on all of my computer applications, which I will never forget but which nobody else will ever guess (sad, I know ... but oh-so-necessary in the modern world).

5. I have no difficulty remembering which spell in Harry Potter is which ...

(OK, so maybe that last one wasn't altogether serious, but ... )

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

When I was a primary teacher in southern China, just round the corner from Hong Kong, I was told that I had to do an ECA, an extra-curricular activity. Well, I did not want to do anything vaguely sporting and I was fed up with the Chess Club. Then I had a great idea: teach Latin! It was wonderful to do the old Cambridge Latin Course after all those years. Caecilius is actually not in horto that often, as he prefers to be counting his money in the tablinum. Cerberus is still a naughty dog that likes barking and jumping onto tables. So many happy memories!

Incommunicado and sabrinakat like this.