1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did not read childminding contract and now it seems that we are tied into it forever!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, May 26, 2018.

1. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Maybe this way she can take on another child for those two weeks whose parents will then be expected to pay the retainer over the summer?

border_walker likes this.
  2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

The Retainer is to compensate for loss of earning while a CM reserves a place for your child, thereby turning others away. In the case of teachers etc, to save the place for them. It is usually half fees. The parent is entitled to use these hours paid for, by settling in visits, in the case of new child, or other needs.
    Some CM charge a deposit instead and this can be then deducted from fees when the child begins in care..... to stop parents back wording and leaving the CM out of pocket.
    CMs who do term time usually charge higher fees to accommodate those only needing term time, again to give them a decent wage and protect their rights. they then get nice long holidays! Maybe if they have their own children this benefits both parties.
    Other term time CMs do both term time and holiday care as there are lots of parents who really really need child care during the school holidays. They work the same weeks of a year as most workers and then have a range of strategies to ensure that they too, can get a holiday. It takes some organising.
    This CM is different I think. They charge a hefty retainer for the holidays to ensure the place is held open and to cover loss of fees. I hope that they do not additionally charge higher fees. That would be unfair. A such it is not a clear retainer.

One would hope that the relationships between CM and parents is built on trust and mutual respect so that these things can be justly dealt with.

To deny teachers - the prime term time customers - child care for the last two weeks of the term is quite shocking and unethical. It speaks buckets of the kind of relationship they have with the children and parents, that they can leave them in the lurch like this. Most kind CMs would move mountains to make sure their existing children have their needs met and that everyone is accommodated.

And it would behove the CM to make sure that parents understand fully the details of their contracts before parents sign them.

The poster could in fact, begin re organising their child care and look out for a nice CM who has space in two weeks time and just give two weeks notice. Because they are going to have to do this anyway.

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

What I was saying is that in this case the extra fees are not a retainer, they are holiday pay.

4. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Yes, it would seem the childminder hopes to get rid of leavers before the end of term so s/he can fill their places and ask the new people for a retainer and s/he’s using the threat of the summer ‘retainer’ fee to ensure s/he won’t miss out on that money whatever happens. Must be pretty confident of filling the place, though.

I think it’s a bit mean to ask for a retainer over the school holidays when the business is closed anyway. Is this normal practice? Why not just have slightly higher fees during term time? I would understand it better if the service was available but some families (teachers’ families?) chose not to use it during the holidays.