1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did I hear this right?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Feb 21, 2012.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I was picking up a few bits in a discount store the other day. They randomly happen to sell the good quality dried cat food that our Bruce eats, at £1.99 for an 800g bag .... and Sainsbury's opposite has the same one for £5.49.
    Anyway, I digress. I overheard at the tills a mother and daughter conversation. I should mention that this wasn't a duo you'd like to meet in a dark alley!
    Daughter was trying to convince her mother to buy something relatively expensive. She told her that they could use the money she gets for 'going to school'.
    Now I'm currently a little out of touch with teaching due to being at home with the kids, but did I hear this right? Are certain pupils these days paid to attend school? How does it work and does it actually work?
    Thanks for the clarification [​IMG]

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Is the EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) still paid to some post 16 students. I can't rembmeber if it was axed last year or they decided last year that it won't carry on aftyer this school year.

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I thought they were only paid to stay at home (when Ofsted were due). Mind you, I know a local school that awarded a brand new bike for the best homework, so not far from being paid to attend school!

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I believe the current Year 12's can apply for a bursary which will cover essential expenditure such as books, etc.

5. If not EMA, it could be a deal between the parent and child?
    I remember getting pocket money for doing my chores when I was younger (okay, about SIX, but sometimes this continues well into teens)- if child was the truanting type, it could be possible that she got money for going to school.

6. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Thanks everyone.
    I definitely got the impression it was a grant of some sort. The girl looked and sounded under 18. Not sure she was typical 6th form material.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There's no such thing any more! Since the EMA and also the lack of work opportunities, especially for the functionally illiterate and innumerate holders of 5 GCSE-equivalent 'passes' at Grade C or above, all and sundry are 6th Form material, even if not A level material.
    If JSA were available rom age 16 instead of age 18yrs, there would be a huge transfer of students from Post 16 education registers to the benefits system.

8. A hell load of not-sixth-form-material kids from my old school wound up at a regional college studying beauty or mechanics and such; they also got the EMA.