1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did he jump or was he pushed? Fired or Resigned?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by coldmetal, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm formally washing my hands of you Mike - you are your own worst enemy

Goodbye

2. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

Thank you - you'll not be missed as your comments were often unhelpful, rude or inflammatory. people come on here for help not to be told your'e wrong go back and apologise to everyone or recommend the quit the profession, was that one of yours? bah

3. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

You're late to the party Peakster :D

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

mikecom, you have my sympathy. I have been following your threads for some time. You are obviously 'on the edge' and don't know which way to turn. Your personality is just not suited to the educational environment. As I have posted before education, and maybe especially FE, is just different to working in industry or commerce.
    Please take the union's advice for the sake of your own sanity. If you were a female who was on the edge of a nervous breakdown, crying all the time and not sleeping you would get more sympathy. As you are a male you have developed a different coping strategy which is coming across as defensive and unpleasant. I see this a lot in male students in FE and in some really nasty female students. I'm willing to bet that you are not sleeping well and have outbursts of anger, following which, you feel like you could cry.
    I'm not sure if you are actually teaching or not at the moment, but in my opinion you are in no fit state to be in the classroom.
    Let it go. Take the best settlement which you can get and move on. I personally would like to hear the end of this saga, so please let us all know how it ends. Good Luck.

5. coldmetal

Party? can you get off the party line please.

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

This is one angry dude.:mad:

drvs likes this.
  7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

You have been given lots of helpful comments. Sometimes people ARE wrong and it would be very wrong for posters not to point that out. This forum isn't, as I see it anyway, simply to give support to anyone who posts a dilemma but to give a balanced and professional viewpoint.

It is considered good netiquette to say thank you to those who have put themselves out to reply, even if you can't find it in yourself to agree with them.

8. coldmetal

Thank you for this - I have returned to work and am getting bullied by my colleagues and b) a faction of students and my line manager is too weak to do anything and has left a conflict to fester over months - My 2nd year students are all fully on board with me an recognise my talents experience and devotion to them. They are engaged, we learn a lot and have a fun together and are making terrific progress... (about 8 of them already have university places) After having been off with stress I decided that I wouldn't worry about letting the college down because it has so badly let me down and am trying to work to hours - not staying till 8:00pm and not working Saturday and Sunday and ignoring additional demands re tracking reports and concentrate on doing the best lessons etc for my 2nd years and the minum for the rest. This has released some pressure on me. Meanwhile my Union are having protected conversations on my behalf. It's a shame it has gone like this but my organisation never really wanted a person from industry with limited teacher admin experience they really wanted a 7 -10 year + experienced person to administrate the course through difficulties (i.e a take over and falling short of numbers etc a box ticker and someone with many years of resources behind them (they wanted an industry person though because they previously had come in for criticicsm about this). But they were not prepared to put in the support I know it's not all like this as i have worked other places some good and some really horrible.

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Mike, I have read your threads, and I am sure you have an excellent knowledge of your subject, but you never accepted that you didn't understand how the qualification worked.

Lots of people, including your employers tried to help you understand how to mark/ grade, etc but you were always adamant you didn't need to be helped.

I am guessing there are a lot of unmarked, or incorrectly marked assignments at your place of work right now, unless someone else has already marked and graded them.

I'm sorry you have had such a miserable time, but the fact remains, going by your own accounts, it is unlikely that you have done, or even tried to do, the job for which you were paid, so in that sense, you are not in a strong position to negotiate.

The best thing would be to let the union handle all negotiations for you, and trust them to get the best deal they can. Take their advice, and then move on to a career which suits you better.

Good luck in the future

peggylu, foxtail3 and wanet like this.
  10. coldmetal

I thank you for your kind thoughts... the fellow that was previously there I studied all his marking and used that as a benchmark... I also have gone through much of the marking of similar courses in previous years checking criteria etc
    I have done some standardisation where my colleagues were harsh but got stuff wrong and I was less harsh and got stuff wrong also, they did no better than me really... I asked all my colleagues to go through the first set of marking with me so I had a good benchmark standard to start from including my HOD. All refused (I think they all thought i had many years experience as I am older) - I then worked with a learning and development coach. Much of the interpretation of the criteria which has been criticised is it seems subjective.
    Apparently the qualifications we are working to are a nightmare and I will be much better off with more vocational based as my mentor in another college tells me such as UAL - I am also applying to L4+ HE places where i may get involved in some research and have received some highly complementary comments back on my theoretical stuff. Education and me are not finished yet but I fear my current workplace and I are, one way and another. PS many have left already - several others in the faculty are interviewing and applying for positions elsewhere. it's not a good evironment anyway.

11. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Completely agree. It's not just about agreeing with posters and saying "your workplace/boss is the issue". I had a dilemma a while back and a few posters said 'we can see your point but...'. They weren't being awful..they were offering another viewpoint. It didn't change my mind entirely but did give me something to consider when approaching the situation.

In the case of this poster, lots of excellent advice has been given and then ignored and argued with. Based purely on the responses on these threads that's why people are getting a littlr short and frustrated.

12. coldmetal

I have thanked many that have helped - due to the nature of this sometimes someone says something that you don't see for days or are reading at ungodly hour or something and the netiquette is missed - I guess an occupational hazard.
    When you say wrong? it's only your opinion they are wrong. Some people have got very uppity when they are told they in fact are wrong... we have our views. I take heart in that there have been some highly astute and helpful comments here and that posting on TES has in fact helped me formulate my views and decisions and offered me knowlede I never had and also supported me when I was very very low - I THANK ALL THOSE PEOPLE AND THIS FORUM.

13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'm very glad to know that you have got the help you needed, Mike. I appreciate that some replies have been 'robust' but I would bet that they were borne out of frustration rather than much else. It would take a very unfeeling person not to wish you well in the future.

caterpillartobutterfly and wanet like this.
  14. coldmetal

I hope so... some have been kind. some that think their 'robust' comments are justified. I think they think they are supporting teaching, routing a bad apple out or something. I'm sure we all want teaching to be as good as possible. As I have come from industry I have some different views. I bought into a lot of BS. Some agreed some didn't. Thanks

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

So have you made a decision about what you are planning to do?

I think that perhaps your experience in industry has not translated well into the field of education. Maybe there's an element of disappointment that things are not working in the way you had hoped. The criteria are what they are. You may disagree but you can't change it, so you have to either accept that, on this occasion, they are right and you are not, or chalk it up to experience and look for something that better suits your talent and personality.

16. coldmetal

I am in negotiations, meanwhile the bullying from colleagues and students (who we can't discipline as they are needed, continues) I'll try not to stress - I'd better not completely show my strategy just in case. As i mentioned before I worked in a really supportive environment another college where everyone helped each other they helped me and I them we went to the pub together and I still am in touch. This place it's every man for himself. The facilities are really poor. The courses are poorly marketed it's floundering, they will cut hours come sept - dilute the courses further... better off out. I may go back to industry for a while - re-group - reflect -

17. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I don't know you or your history here so there is no judgement in the following, just curiosity based on the observation that you seem to have alienated some very strong and sensible TES posters who I know to consistently offer very good advice. So, the curiosity:

Do you acknowledge that comments you find to be unhelpful may also be astute?

18. coldmetal

I'l be honest and say that I'm not the kind of person that if the world is proved round to continue saying it's flat. That's If it's proved. Not opinion - Also, It's hard to put the whole of the case totally into words here and so some comment without parts of the case and some come in halfway through and some just decide to have a go because they don't like the way you have written things. Obviously, I didn't come on here for unhelpful comments. I take from it what i can. If people said Arsenal were going to lose the game because of a weak defence and then they lose the game because of a defensive errors the pundits won't draw him to say oh yeah yeah they were right and I was wrong. As I say I move on and take from it what I can. Thanks for asking

19. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I wish I could say thanks for answering, but you haven't.

My astute but unhelpful observation is that some TES posters take what they want from posts, not what they can.

20. coldmetal

Exactly - you read it right. I'm not answering it. Your'e saying theres a lot of bright people on here ever consider your'e WRONG?! I'm not going there... I'm moving on. Doing what I can. Those that have helped and supported I thank them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.