1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did he jump or was he pushed? Fired or Resigned?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by coldmetal, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

Is it better for you record to resign than wait to be fired? As my workplace have let me down so badly and are not playing ball anymore, consequently I'm not playing ball with them - re all the mountains of paperwork - My Union have recommended a without prejudice discussion, to retain a good or standard reference - not sure what's best

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Impossible to say without knowing what's happening, which I realise you probably can't say on here.

A Settlement Agreement might be better than either, but no idea if that is relevant here.

Do you plan to stay in teaching? Resigning but getting a reference that says " @mikecom resigned before the disciplinary investigations against him could be concluded" isn't going to help much.

Is the "without prejudice discussion" your union recommend a 'Protected Conversation'? If so I would expect the union to see this as a step towards a Settlement Agreement.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Be very careful - your Union should advise you (not the school rep, higher in the union structure). You want an agreed reference, so you know what the HT will say.

4. coldmetal

Yes it's a higher person than the College rep apparently she has spoken to HR and they will get back to her in a day or so but it's not really clear to me on what stand point she is negotiating or the terms... or if I resign what harm can that do me? either way I have a months notice - there are lots of things unclear.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I would just say (& my experience was in secondary schools, so maybe a different context) that you should not resign until your Union agrees that they have secured an agreed reference for you (which you need to see and agree - after perhaps making additions/deletions as necessary). This is especially important if you ever want t another job in education, but even if you are leaving this sector, you may still need a ference.

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Established commenter

Then you should take your union's advice. If you want another job in education you will be asked for a reference from your most recent employer and you have to put that employer down as your first referee. You cannot escape that, hence the importance of following your union's advice in order to get a 'good' or 'standard' reference.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

absolutely this.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

But you won't though will you Mike because you always know best and never take the blindest bit of notice of what anyone ever tells you on here.

9. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Of course, we are assuming that the school will go along with the unions's idea. The failure of the school and the OP to 'play ball' with each other might make this less likely, especially if the school believes that they have good grounds for taking action. hard though it may seem, trying to cooperate could be a good plan here.

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Is this the poster who works in FE though?

RedQuilt likes this.
  11. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

That unpleasant reply was completely unnecessary.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

True though

Jesmond12, peggylu and purplecarrot like this.
  13. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

But true. Lots of us have given lots of advice on multiple threads and the OP tends to ignore it/argue back and then come back with more complaints about their workplace.

The OP doesn't have a right to a settlement agreement or agreed reference. If the college are confident that they have a tight case then they may decide the OP should just resign and takr whatever reference (and then we'll have another thread about how unfair life is).

They need to listen to their union who will have more information about the situation (and possibly approach the situation with a bit more humility and openess than has been shown in previous posts).

14. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

I just hope mike does take unions advice this time round.

15. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

Don't know you Mike but sounds like others do and are trying to help you.Please take the advice offered.

16. coldmetal

How would you know Peakster? this is just horrible and nasty - a lot of people have been helpful and supportive.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    Either endeavor to help the posters who require it or don't post.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    Thank you for your enquiry.

17. coldmetal

18. coldmetal

stupid and unnecessary

19. caterpillartobutterfly

And point proved...:rolleyes:

drvs and Jesmond12 like this.
  20. coldmetal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.