1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Did anyone see the programme on Camilla Batmanghelidjh on Wednesday?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What did you think?

2. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

That there is so little supervision of people with a big mouth but a currently RIGHTTHERE message, a helpfully diverting appearance, combined with a glaring gap in the market (and don't think that market is a good thing), that anyone can bag a sum of money their (questionably) good intentions are unmatched by their financial acumen.

Ask any academy.

colpee likes this.
  3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Anyone involved in education will not be surprised.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Nope. I didn't know they made tv screens that colourful.

5. finisterre_277

finisterre_277 Established commenter

Or big.

grumpydogwoman and nomad like this.
  6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I found myself most perplexed about her. She seems to be an attention-seeking self-publicist who painted a picture of herself as one of the good guys but took more than she gave.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  7. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

She was even more larger than life.

8. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

So who's bailing her out?
    As if I didn't know.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How do you pronounce her name? Best answer gets a spangle.

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Absolutely!!

The case of the woman who had been supported by the charity for 14 years intrigued me. She reminded me of a bird in a gilded cage. The charity seemed to have done nothing to 'move her on' with her life, they'd just kept her in a situation, providing for all her needs yet she still seemed trapped.

RedQuilt likes this.
  11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I think it's pronounced Bat-man-gelly.

(if you have Sangles they must be years old as they haven't been manufactured for a lifetime, so I'll give the reward a miss, if you don't mind!!!)

:D

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I refer to her as Batmanjellyjar. I thought she came across as completely barking. Her laugh was chillingly manic and she needed everyone to be dependent on her to bolster her up. ( Not that she needed much bolstering in her person because she was like an enormous whale) And those tartan fingerless gloves were well spooky!

13. Duke of York

I found a packet of them in a box of mementos from a previous life. I can't remember what I might have bought them for, but I can assure you it had nothing to do with my diet or kiddy fiddling.

If I had to hazard a guess, they probably date back to my NHS days when I might have offered one to a kid I was doing a sweat test on to stop it screaming when I applied the electrodes. Scream and choke, if that suits you, or suck nicely on the sweet while I extract the sweat out of you, was the general idea.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I wonder how much money was raised from Government and donors together.

15. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Which Spangles have you got? If you've got the fizzy Orangeade ones I'll certainly be brushing up on my 'best answers'
    [​IMG]

16. Duke of York

It's difficult to be sure. The box they were kept in would have been kept in various locations before the Spangles saw the light of day again. Sometimes in a loft, sometimes in a garage. They take some separating from each other now, since it looks like heat they experienced at some point in time enabled their sugary stickiness to ooze out of the wrappers and there were a couple of batteries in the box that I doubt would be up to much now, given how much they also leaked, but a Spangle is still a Spangle, ain't it?

17. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

OOOh, manky Spangles with added corroded battery goo - how could we resist?

18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Those would be the 'Old English' flavoured ones then.

[​IMG]

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

• Those OE ones were horrid.
    • Double wrapped! How neurotic.
    • Threepence.
    • Got the brush? He's holding it, you stupid woman.
    • Gay packets.
    • Frankly that neckerchief he's wearing is quite gay.
    • Why is he painting the chest girlie-pink?

InkyP and dljames2013 like this.
  20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And do you think we may possibly attribute Camilla's portliness to a predilection for spangles. Maybe she makes her colourful yurts from flattened and welded spangles?

grumpydogwoman likes this.