1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dictionary use

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mossop, Sep 7, 2012.

1. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Actually sloppy English is widespread- one of my cherubs found libre when looking up fry! A similar issue I feel.

2. Seems like a theme here mixing up y and vowels.

3. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

..or any letters!

4. ambi

ambi New commenter

One of my pupils was looking up "salopette" and rendered his translation as "he is wearing a blue bast..d" When I pointed this out he didn't even register that he had written something that a) made no sense at all and b) included an undesirable word! Give me strength!

5. toadman

One problem created by just this sort of thing is the absolute faith that a. they have looked up the word correctly and b. it must be right because it is in the dictionary.

6. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

We spend time with our Year 5 and 6s teaching them how to use a French dictionary and encouraging them to double check a word they are looking up for the first time ( not a spelling check ) by using both halves of the dictionary. It seems to pay dividends later on .They're always fascinated by the fact the English language is so vocab rich compared to French.

7. We do this too, but some of ours forget all about this when push comes to shove.

8. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

'J'ai dormi sur l'entraineur' - I've just found for 'I slept on the coach'....

9. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

...mind you, the grammatically correct 'dans' that I've been nagging my pupils about would've been worse!

10. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

Indeed!

11. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Have had j'ai mis mes entraineurs before now thinking they were shoes.

12. toadman

I've had il y a un trou dans mon entraineur as well.

13. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Had this yesterday
    Ils porter contents- they were happy

14. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Had something similar recently and confronted the student who clearly knew the word they looked up but still was willing to write nonsense down!

15. toadman

Far too often!!

16. toadman

Couldn't be bothered in the past but now I have found out how to make an avatar thanks to manashee on the sports site, Thought I'd join those who have changed recently!

17. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

A couple of translations from a year 7 in a homework which suggest a rather then perfect knowledge of his own language. Sont ecole= our(are) school and ton content= you're(your) happy.

18. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

I had even worse- il faut ou un uniforme(cannot get accent on ou)

19. I've been getting a lot of examples like: Ich wie Fussball.

20. That is just dreadful.
    Google lexibar for a really simple way of getting accents!