1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dictionary use

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mossop, Sep 7, 2012.

1. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

I remember what they were doing- composing a letter to a penfriend (fictitious). Not very exciting I know, but I needed a rest!

2. When I was at school, I once told somebody I didn't like very much that the German for "traffic jam" is "Verkehrsmarmelade". The trouble was that the girl told the teacher that I had given her the translation and I got into trouble for being mean. :-(

3. gsglover

One of my weker pupils who was using the wrong half of the dictionary to look up a word and confidently stated that the word was not in the dictionary was greeted by the boom ing voice of one of his peers, saying, "well, that's the French for you!"

4. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

In a pretty long, quite accurate and complicated bit of CA writing in French I came across j'ai pris les pluies. It was all about horse riding. I don't think the girl concerned could spell reins correctly in English!

5. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

English spelling is at the root of many errors in MFL.

6. toadman

I now await la pluie for reign too- it will come I'm sure.

7. gsglover

A lot will depend on them knowing the English word reign!!

8. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Very few will!!

9. gsglover

Seems a bit ironic on this thread, but if anyone is in need of cheap dictionaries, The Works have reasonable French and Spanish ones for 99p each. I just bought some.

10. toadman

I have just seen them online, they seem fine for the money.

11. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Had this the first week back J'ai haricot vert for I have been.

12. particular favourite of mine is "j?ai mangé des puces" - once that appears you know for certain they are using Google translate as "puce" is the first option shown for translations of "chip", (interestingly, "frite" is not shown at all) - Hard to keep a straight face when I ask "do you prefer ketchup or mayo with your fleas?"

13. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Had this in French today Je comme patiner car c'est un plaisir chose faire.

14. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

When practising the future tense, I often get a variation on the theme of "Yo testamento ir fuera"

15. toadman

had this on Friday "What is a dictionary?" (year 9!!)

16. gsglover

Came across this today je suis allé sur une ecole trébucher- I went on a school trip.

17. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Had something similar a while back and didn't get it at first un géo champ trébucher!

18. gsglover

Juat had sont école est grande- are school is big!

19. gsglover

And another.... je suis assez= I am quiet.

20. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

A terrible indictment of English knowledge.